Do you have dinner?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Apr 3, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know this forum is about saving money and not starvation lol, but even so I think we can save money by not eating dinner and even so being healthier because as we know a big percentage of the population is overweight. So the simple question is, do you have a full dinner or what do you eat at night?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do eat dinner and so does my daughter. I suppose if you wanted to save money and be healthy, you could eat fruit or salad for dinner. But I don't think skipping meals completely is beneficial.
    It takes energy to get things accomplished and I feel tired and sluggish when I miss meals, so I don't get a lot of productive work done. How can you be productive and earn money if you're distracted by being hungry? It's a false economy and doesn't really save money.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would rather simply eat less expensive meals throughout the day than skip a given meal completely. There are plenty of recipes out there that are very inexpensive to make at home, there is no need to starve yourself for hours at a time, plus it's not good for your metabolism to do that. If the reason you are skipping dinner is because you are buying fast food or takeout for breakfast and lunch, for example, that's part of the problem right there. All that extra money you are spending on lunch each day could have went towards a homemade lunch and dinner, and you still would have some money leftover afterwards.

If I skip breakfast or lunch, I cannot focus on my work throughout the day and get scatterbrained. If I skip dinner, I have even more trouble falling to sleep because I am starving, so I make sure to eat throughout the day.

If am not particularly hungry when it comes time for lunch or dinner, I will however eat something light, just to get something in me - then if I get the munchies a bit later I don't mind eating something then as well. I don't force myself to eat much if I am not really hungry.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yeah, I don't think it's healthier to skip that meal either. People aren't obese because they're eating the wrong number of meals usually. It's usually related more to WHAT they are eating and HOW MUCH they are eating. Make better choices in those areas and continue to eat dinner instead of skipping it. You'll stay healthier and happier overall.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I do have dinner out occasionally but not always. Sometimes I just like to have a nice home cooked meal that I know the right amount of oil to use, Sometimes you can never know exactly how much cholesterol you are taking in when you have not cooked the meal yourself.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Just more recently I started to have dinner more often, but not because of me, but the kids. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but since that time I've started to gain some weight lol. I think that usually with soup and fruit we are OK, just kids have the need to eat something more substantial.

7. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say I have dinner 90% of the days, especially during work days, we need the energy boost.
    But if we spend the whole weekend just lounging on the couch and we either had a late lunch or had an afternoon snack, we just end up eating toast with tea or coffee at dinner time, it's much faster and easier than cooking up a full meal.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    There is another thing about eating dinner, sometimes we eat dinner and go to sleep just a little later and in fact we are eating what we don't need because the body is not consuming any energy, it's sleeping! I'm not saying to sleep on an empty stomach, I don't think anyone manages to do that, but don't eat so much, it's unhealthy.

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've always heard to not go to bed after eating, at least wait a couple of hours.
    It might be false, but I was told it would not allow the body to do the digestion properly, since you are both asleep, not spending any calories, and also being completely flat might have something to do with it.
    Have you heard something to this effect?

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat about 5-6 small meals a day which makes me feel energetic and healthy. Heavy meals make me feel lethargic, so that I have to lie down for a while after eating. I don't need that strain on my system. At night I usually have my last meal at around 8pm, about 3-4 hours before I go to bed. I like to eat something warm before I retire, so I often have soup or some steamed vegetables with quinoa or buckwheat. :)

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is a wise choice Dora, most people like me sometimes is too busy to eat more often (what is a nonsense really) and basically we end up eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and that's pretty much it. I think we should pay more attention to what we eat, after all our health depends on that.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do have dinner sometimes but sometimes I don't, it depends on whether I'm hungry or not. I have to agree that it does save us some money because we get to skip a meal, lol. But if you are feeling hungry, then never skip any meals at all, because it will just lead to more worse health problems later.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's true and for me personally it's impossible to sleep on an empty stomach, I simply can't. Just yesterday for example, I had some chicken leftovers and I was too lazy too cook, I just put some pieces of chicken inside my vegetable soup and ate it, pretty good actually. :)

14. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    We eat dinner every night, no matter what. It's important to do so I feel, but it does take a long time to get dinner ready for close to three hundred people, so we do work in shifts, and sometimes even try to eat in shifts, but usually it's all at the same time. It's like watching the banquet scenes at Hogwarts!

15. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I live with my folks right now and grandmother so we always get dinner, well 90% of the time. Money is not too great at all right now but my grandmother was a kid during the depression so she can cook up the absolutely amazing meals with just a few potatoes, veggies and other meat. Biscuits and gravy are delicious and pretty simple to make. Love made from scratch biscuits, a staple of our household suppers.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I remember the days when I was living with my parents and we too had dinner every single night at 8PM, not before and not after lol, it's one of those family traditions or habits. Both my parents are overweight though, not severely, but they could both weight a good 10-15 Kgs each, so it doesn't prove it's a healthy habit.

17. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I heard that it is actually unhealthy if you skip meals like that.

I heard that it slows your metabolism down, which makes it even harder for you to lose weight.I do not think that is the way to go. I think the key is eat smaller portions, not to skip the entire meal. I have tried it before, and it only made me extremely hungry. I would not recommend anyone try this.

Focus o eating smaller portion throughout the day.

18. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    Yikes, that sounds like something to see.

19. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard this also.

It is definitely not healthy to skip entire meals. It is not about how much you eat. It is about what you eat, and when you eat it. I heard that you are suppose to eat yo biggest meal of the day in the morning. That way you have more opportunity to burn it off.

If you skip meals. It is only going to slow your metabolism down, and make it harder for you lose weight. Like you said. It is not a good idea.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, actually it's not about skipping meals, it's more about more frugal meals instead of preparing a whole meal on purpose. I agree with you when you say that is wrong to skip meals, our stomach needs food every X amount of time and by not doing it we are hurting ourselves.