Do You Ever Feel "Frugal Fatigue"?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by ACSAPA • Apr 3, 2014.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One frugal website defines frugal fatigue as that feeling of being tired of saving money. Do you ever get burned out on trying to save money? Do you ever feel deprived? Do you ever feel like you're on some kind of financial diet and have to say no to everything?

I'm going through that feeling right now where I wish I could just go to the movies and eat a nice meal with my daughter without using a coupon.
    But I have a lot of student loan debt, not to mention that in order to move into this apartment, I got some utilities turned on with a credit card, which I have to pay off.
    So I won't get to enjoy any extras until I've made a dent in my debt. Otherwise I'll end up paying more interest if I don't pay these things off soon.

How do you deal with that poor feeling, that impulse to throw caution to the winds and live a little? That's not a productive feeling and I've seen people get deeper in debt because they gave in to it.

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's very exhausting so that's why I don't go all out with it. I'd rather save money more than the average person but to truly save money, you can't just simply pull out a coupon sometimes you have to go to different stores. Google shopping doesn't always tell you about items either. Sometimes you have to physically go into a store and check it out.

Thank you for saying "throw caution to the winds" btw. I was so frustrated for a while thinking "what is that saying about winds?" I don't even remember what I was talking about now when I wanted to use that saying but now I know for future reference.

3. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    All the time.

However. You must remember that your frugal nature is the only reason that you have money to spend. If something that you really want the i believe that you should buy it. What is the use of having money if you are not going to spend it on the things you really want it.

There is a flip side to that though. There are a lot of things out there you shouldn't. If you could live without it. Then you shouldn't buy. If you absolutely have to have something then you should buy it.

Those are my thoughts on being frugal.

4. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I think the actual hunt of finding ways to live frugally can be quite exhausting. Seeing other people go about their daily lives without having a care about saving makes me a little envious. When I accompany a friend to the grocery store, for example, and see him just buying whatever, it's not on sale, he doesn't have a coupon, he doesn't care about saving at all. Meanwhile I'm busting my hump trying to save a little here and there. Yes, it's quite exhausting and frustrating at times.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do especially since I used to have a lot more disposable income. Whenever I feel down, I treat myself to a special meal. I go to a sit down restaurant and order a meal that is served on real china and glassware. I end up having to pinch more pennies after that, but it's worth it to me.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes!!

And how do I cope? Honestly, I usually don't, heh. What I mean is....when that hits, I do find that I end up splurging more. I go ahead and order dinner in or spend a little more on a few items than I should. It usually gets it out of my system and I move on because then I feel guilty.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every so often I get really fed up with saving and always looking for a better deal. That's when I splash out. But usually it is never more than a hundred dollars per month. I feel that life should be lived now and not later. I have to say that I feel really good when I allow something for myself and not spend every dollar on my family and bills.
    I think everyone needs that once in a while.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do get tired of being frugal about everything, too. Usually, when I get too overloaded with it; I do get something that is not totally necessary. However, i still try to make it something sensible and not just totally waste the money.
    I think it is like most other things, moderation is key. You can work, but you have to rest, and you need to play a little. I think it is the same with being frugal. If you never do something to enjoy life with what you have worked so hard for; then what good is it, where is the purpose ??
    We save for our self or our family, so we can be happy, and then we always deny ourselves the happiness.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do feel this sometimes but I try to allow myself to splurge before I get to that point. I think I have it easier, though, since I don't have any kids yet so I'm able to be a it more loose with my budget. I imagine that if I had a child depending on me then it would be a lot more serious and I'd probably get a bit more stressed out by this, but in general I thinks okay to splurge once in a while just so you don't go crazy.

10. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Yes, sometimes. It wears on me the constant eye out for a deal mindset. Especially when hanging out with friends who don't seem to need to save for anything at all. I agree with those above that said they try to splurge a little before saving. That way I got my reward adn know exactly why I need to be saving my money.