Clothes cheaper online?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by AB91000 • Apr 6, 2014.

1. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone else feel that clothes are cheaper online than in actual stores?

it is a test of patience to wait for your purchased item to be shipped to your home. However. If you have that kind of patience there are some serious savings for you online. I don't know why but retail stores are always slashing prices if you you purchase the item online.

for this reason i visit physical stores less, and less these days. I think the prices are different because when you buy online you are buying them directly from the manufacturer. When you buy in a physical store, the store owner, or manager has the ability to raise their prices in any manner they want.

What do you think?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Prices are different! And I notice that even more for electronics and appliances, but also for clothing. The sales are better online, the prices are better, sometimes stores will send special coupons that are only accepted on the online store. I think that happens because online shopping is much easier and you can check up prices faster, more conveniently, so online stores need to be more competitive,

3. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I agree they are cheaper but the problem is that when they are shipped then they do not fit you or the material is of low quality than what you expected. That becomes a problem when such a thing happens. I have had issues with such and I do not like shopping clothes online for that exact reason.

4. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    There is definitely a lot of saving potential in purchasing online, but what usually makes it not worth it for me is the shipping cost. For most stores, unless you have an Amazon Prime account or spend over $50, the shipping prices are a bit hefty. If you're going to buy online, buy in bulk from the same store to save on shipping costs. If you want to get really technical about it, you could factor in the gas and/or transportation money it would cost you to get to a certain store. That could potentially outweigh the shipping fees. There are also a lot of special offers available online, especially when they're trying to get rid of a lot of old merchandise sitting around a warehouse. All in all, I think if you're smart about it, online shopping could save you a lot of money.

5. pdxchristine

pdxchristineNew Member

Threads:
    I have a hard time keeping track of online prices versus in-store prices. I do like to "window shop" online and if there are sales going on sometimes I will go to the actual store to see if I really like what the item is and how it fits. I don't like to guess at sizes unless I am really confident it will fit. I have found some great deals on Amazon for shoes and got really lucky with sizing, though with Prime it isn't too difficult (or expensive!) to exchange. I think generally you can find better deals online than in the stores.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Not having to pay for shelf space or rent for a store does make the clothes cheaper. I imagine that online stores also have fewer employees compared to a brick and mortar store. Not to mention that by selling online you get to cover a whole country easily! Imagine how many stores you'd have to open to get the coverage of an online store.

The only thing I don't like about shopping for clothes online is that sometimes the sizes they ship are wrong. But no biggie since when that happens I can sell the clothes and be done with. Honestly, this is something I'm willing to put up with in order to save money.

7. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, you can find loads of nice clothes online that are cheap! I completely agree. I think it's because physical stores have so many overheads compared to an online store. Just think of all that rent to display clothes nicely when an online shop can keep them stored in boxes as them came!

8. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. Sometimes that is an issue.

Not being able to physically see the item before you purchase it is always alarming. Sometimes they are not what you expected, and sending them back is a real pain, and time consuming. You can't just take it back to the store, you have to ship it back. I hate that.

But that is one of the cons of shopping online. Fortunately these incidents do not happen often.

9. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's cheaper, I think it's just the same. Also, I don't like it when I can't fit the clothes I'm buying. I know most online stores have a return policy in case it does not fit you when it arrives, but I think it is a waste of time when you have to return it.

Also, for clothes, I like it when I can physically touch the product to get a feel of the fabric. I'm a bit picky when it comes to fabric because I'm allergic to some types.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They're usually cheaper online, because there is less expense on their part because they don't need to hire as much staff as they would in physical stores. But I don't really buy clothes online since I might regret it if it doesn't fit me. I assume you buy your clothes abroad since you have to wait for the shipping?

11. youngnova

youngnovaNew Member

Threads:
    I think clothes are cheaper online without a doubt. You can get a lot of designer clothes for about half the price on some sites. Especially designer clothes, like Gucci, Versace, True Religion, etc.

Like the op said though, the only downside to buying clothes online is waiting for them to ship your clothes to you. Other than that, I always buy my clothes online because it's cheaper. The only time I don't buy clothes online is if I need to wear them the same day I buy them.

For example, if I am going to a wedding or a party on a specific day, and I can't afford to wait for them to ship the stuff to me, I'll just go to the store to get what I need.

But yeah, I always buy not just clothes but almost everything online because it's so much cheaper than buying retail.

12. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. It is difficult to find deals in actual retail stores and online shopping is becoming more and more popular because of this. I get most of my shoes from online because I usually don't have an issue with fitting. That is the only downside to online shopping, not being able to try on clothes because you have to wait for them to get sent. I think in the future this will the primary way of getting clothes.

13. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    Of course clothes are cheaper online! This is because you can opt to shop at wholesale stores where items are directly shipped from China, and prices are a fraction of what the clothes would cost here. Yes, the quality may sometimes be questionable, which is why it's important to read the reviews and not buy the more expensive items. For everyday shirts and dresses, I never shop in physical stores anymore!

14. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the individual stores. Also, when you buy online you have to take into account the cost of P&P. Another thing to think about is that as you have not tried on the items you cannot guarantee they fit. You need to check out the company's returns policies because sometimes customers are also responsible for return P&P even if the company is at fault or the items are faulty/ damaged. when all this is taken into consideration it can actually turn out to be more expensive sometimes to shop online. However, there are many great websites out there with fantastic deals and promotions. It is even better if you can get online coupons towards the cost of your items.

15. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    You can find a lot of great deals online. But a lot of the time you get hit with high shipping prices, so it kind of evens things out. But then again, you can find online coupons to get free shipping, you just have to look. What I like about shopping online besides the convenience of course, is the selection. A lot of the time, I can't find my size or color I like in a store. Then I feel like I made the trip down there for nothing. So I'm definitely an online shopper.

16. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All added up, I say it depends. You can find awesome deals online, but we can also find great deals in physical stores, so it's just a matter of looking around and seeing what's more convenient and cheaper to you.

17. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    From my experience it is easier to find cute sale items because the items on sale at store and ravished though and no longer have your size. yes some items may be cheaper online buy for the most part it comes up to to the same price if you add shipping. I like shopping online more because you can go through a lot of items and figure out what you want faster.

18. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, often I find that clothes that are being sold online are cheaper. Only that sometimes, they charge for shipping fees. Nevertheless, I am still able to save more when shopping online. One example is with the transportation. I wouldn't have to pay for gas.

19. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely find them cheaper online. I get so many emails from different stores showing offer codes to plug in to get additional percentages off and they are usually only available online. The shipping sometimes increases the price and the wait time is a pretty long wait, but if you're still saving money, it'll all be worth it in the end! :D I find that DVDs and Blu Rays are much cheaper online as well :)

20. love_paradise

love_paradiseNew Member

Threads:
    It is really cheaper to buy online than at physical stores. You should know your exact size before and find online sellers with good feedback and review. I bought some last year because I am occupied by my daughter. I now have my own online shop again and I think I should work standing on buyer's side. I sell what pictures show. and the items are beautiful than pictures.