How often do you check your statements?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by Denis Hard • Apr 8, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For someone who shops online frequently it's always advisable to check your statements frequently to see if you conducted all the transactions that reflect on your bank statement. There are people who've fallen victim to phishing scams and learned much later that someone had access to their bank accounts.

So as a safety precaution, no matter how careful you are when shopping online, take a little time to check your bank statement regularly. It may save you some money . . .

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I check mine monthly for sure, and sometimes a bit more frequently than that. I usually look in on things like my credit card and bank accounts more than once a month, so I'm always aware of what charges are posting. I don't usually find anything wrong, but it's happened a couple times.

3. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using online banking service and my bank would send me a pin number to my phone for every transaction I try to perform before proceeding so I think I'm pretty safe at the moment. I'm also able to check my statement and see what is coming and out of my bank account everyday online.

4. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    I check my banking statement, hmmmm Never, BUT my wife checks it EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! hehehehe
    She's funny, or just cautious? We have had our credit card numbers stolen at least three times in the last few years.

5. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I usually check my statement at least a few days after shopping to double check that there's no discrepancies. But it's for sure a good a idea to stay on top of your statements. Con artists have gotten so tricky now-a-days.

6. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    They get checked normally on monthly basis because finally that is the thing which is really necessary so you can keep your shopping amount on your mind that you have spent.
    This is the way how it is and goes well already Liking what you have written i am sure.

7. atlman

atlmanNew Member

Threads:
    In the past, I thought my memory was impeccable and therefore saw no reason to check my statements, as I kept track of all my finances in my head. Big mistake. After I while i consistent kept getting calls from the bank regarding overdue amount and overdraft fees. It took about 3 times for this to happen to swallow my pride and make it a habit to check my statement everyday. Obviously it's easier to do this than to try to be a human calculator and remember everything. My advice: definitely check your banking statements everyday.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I do most of my banking online, and we get it emailed every day....so I don't go more than a day or so without checking it. You can't be too careful with that kind of thing, right? It really only takes a minute out of your day to check up on it.

9. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Quite often actually, although Mint.com tends to do much of the work for me. It has highlighted some past issues of fraud or erroneous charges that I probably wouldn't have noticed until a month later otherwise. Only a few of my credit cards have a built in text message or email that gets set off when ever I deposit money or make a purchase, but not all of them -- wish this was a standard.

As for letter statements I get in the mail, I literally just burn them almost immediately. I only check if there's any sort of credit increase or what have you.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I check mine every month as soon as I get it. My bank has a policy that you can only report an error or problem within 30 days of when they printed the statement, so I make sure to check it right away in case I find something I'm not sure about. I want to be prompt in case I have to first go looking and see if an error is really an error, and then still have plenty of time to get it resolved within the allotted time if there is anything. So far I have not had any problems though.

11. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I check them before and after every purchase, since 95% of the things I buy are from online retailers. It pays to be safe. I'm not rich enough to risk the little money I do have haha being careful and keeping a list of transactions is really helpful, if it doesn't match up then you know there's something fishy and it can allow you to contact your bank before a hacker drains your account.

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe twice per week. Although I'm not someone who shops frequently online so it's not as important. However it is still important for the reason that it will allow you to detect fraudulent use early.

13. cameronpalte

cameronpalteNew Member

Threads:
    I personally check my statements monthly which is whenever my bank gives them to me. Personally I believe that statements should be picked regularly in order to make sure that no one is spending money or doing anything without my knowledge but not so often that it seems obsessive or is a poor use of time.

14. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I check everyday as I use my card for every purchase I can. I use the internet banking which has a budgeting tool that reports on what you are spending money one (groceries, shopping, fuel, phone bills, etc). I go in everyday, check my transactions, and categorise them so I can track my expenses against my budget goals.

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I check all my statements twice a week, and sometimes even more when I feel a bit concerned about certain internet transactions.
    Thankfully, I have never really had any big problems. Once my health insurance company overcharged me, but by the time I got around to get in touch with them, they had already fixed the problem and refunded me.

16. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I don't shop online that often and I have seen thousands of scams so I have a formed eye for any type of scam there is, especially boisterous advertising sites that people still fall for like *Buy our 500 page book in in just 5 months you will be making 5000$ from home* , that type of cretinous adverts are nothing more than that, complete idiocy and will NEVER EVER work. Those are scams, and many other type of scams as well.

17. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Unless I have a transaction to make, I usually check and review my statements monthly. It is always best that you monitor this things because no one will care about what you are keeping except yours. The bank wouldn't care if your account is hacked and the amount depleted... they will just blame you for not monitoring it.

18. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit, I don't check my statements often. I just take it for granted that the information is correct, but I know that I should do my own checking, because as someone on here just wrote, no one is going to care about what you keep more than you yourself are.

19. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I check my bank statement every time I make an online purchase, and a few extra times when I wonder how much I have of a cushion and try to make myself feel better. When I make purchases, I like to see how much it took out on my account (sometimes the exchange rate can change the bill, afterall). I also like to pay back my credit card as I use it, lest I later forget.

20. Oyes

OyesNew Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I hardly ever check my bank statement. I don't know why I have so much trust in these banks and their systems. But as how I came across this tread, I am going to do it just now given that I make online purchases ever so often.