Free vegetable plants to my neighbors

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Sweetkymom • Apr 9, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    My kids and I planted vegetable plants inside mini greenhouses but when we asked the landlord if we could have a garden, we was told no. We then gave our plants to our neighbors. They were happy to take them and even said we are welcome to help take care of their garden and to get vegetables once they start producing. I'm ok with that and shall help them.

Anyone else told no to having a garden?

2. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's too bad. But some landlords are like that. They can be very picky about what you can and cannot do on their property. Maybe he thinks a garden will attract bugs or rodents. But at least your neighbors are willing to help out. Maybe it can turn out to be a fun project that you can do with your neighbors.

3. Meowmie

MeowmieMember

Threads:
    That is a shame, but sounds like you found the perfect solution.

I am fortunate enough to own my own house so I have a garden, and the only one saying I can't is my neighbor, but she got vetoed. She didn't like that I have a vegetable garden, mixed with some flowers, in my side yard. She told another neighbor, in her loudest voice possible, knowing I was on the other side of the bushes, that vegetable gardens should NEVER be in a side yard, only the back.

I say if you don't have a backyard, grow them where you can.

I've had it there now for over 5 years and everyone else thinks it looks pretty.

Neighbors that don't bad mouth me get free surplus vegies each year, too. :p

4. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Will he allow you to have potted plants? You can grow some vegetables in 5-gallon buckets. You and the kids can paint them to make the prettier. If you have a window that receives a lot of light, you can grow some herbs.

None of this replaces a garden, I understand that completely. It's a shame, but some landlords don't allow gardens because they don't want the property dug up only to have to replace the sod once the tenant moves out. With more people turning to gardening, setting aside gardening areas can be attractive to potential tenants.