Eating fruit!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Apr 10, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fruit is probably one of the healthiest things we can and should include in our diet, it's relatively cheap and way healthier than cakes or cookies that many people use to eat in the middle of the morning or afternoon. Do you eat fruit? Usually you do it between or after meals?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Funny, I was just reading about fruit consumption. Last week a research paper was releases saying that eating 7 servings of fruit daily reduces the risk of death by 42% - here's an article

As for me, I like eating apples, one or two after a meal once per day (apples are dirt cheap so why not?). I often eat carrots too (I blame this on those Bugs Bunny cartoons ;))! Now, I remember reading that fruit should be consumed before a meal since the stomach acid ruins the good stuff in fruit if consumed after a meal (when the acids are released).

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really cool article prettycolors, that picture is great, I love the colors of the fruits and foods in general, it's said that the most color a food has, the more healthy it is. I don't think I have seven portions of food or vegetable per day, but I'm not very far away from that. I do love apples too, it's my favorite fruits and my older kid looks like Bugs Bunny, he is a true carrot eater! :D

4. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to AT LEAST get fruit in my body.

Last week, I took an apple each day with my lunch. This week, I have a big thing of clementine oranges that I've been snacking on daily.

I bought a juicer a month and a half ago and have been using it, but not as much as I should. For a while, I was making one juice a day in addition to my meals. I need to get back to that!

5. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Eating fruit is a very important part of the diet, but I feel like 7 servings a day is too much.
    It must reduce the risk of death by 42% because you spend all day eating fruit, instead of spending time crossing the road, driving, skydiving, dangerous stuff like that hehehe :D

Just kidding, definitely eat as much fruit as possible.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, so I was wondering where you got that 42% number...! It's not 7 servings a day of fruit, 7 servings of fruit and vegetables, think about it, it's not too much, rice or potatoes at lunch dinner, plus broccoli, tomatoes or lettuce, plus a couple of pieces of fruit and the 7 servings are done.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Even so, the 7 servings number just seems very arbitrary, not everyone has the same dietary needs, the 7 number would be too much or too little for different people, depending on your organism.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not arguing on that number, on the other hand I think that if you have seven servings you are well served, while if you have just three or four I am not certain. The fact is we eat way too much meat instead of fruit and vegetable and those are not the needs from our body.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat a good amount of fruit but it doesn't always agree with me. I need to steam certain fruit as they feel too "cold" in my stomach. I am talking about their energetic quality. Heating the fruit destroys some nutrients, but I still get enough of what my body needs.
    I always like to eat whatever is in season which, around here, is tropical fruit.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually complain about our health that we are feeling low on energy and sometimes we don't even pay attention to what we are eating. Are we eating greens and fruits? Where do we think the energy comes from? It's from what we eat, breathe and drink...

11. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    If you really want to be healthier and want to buy affordable, you should stick to bananas. Any time I go to the store, I am always shocked at how many bananas I can get for a low price! They are yummy, too :)

12. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I initially read this as 7 servings of fruit too. I was going to dispute that based on the sugar content. We have a recommendation in Canada of 5 - 10 servings of fruits and vegetables with the common suggestion of 2 - 3 fruits. One think to keep in mind is variety. Eating the same fruits and vegetables every day will be less of a benefit than mixing and matching. The colours in the article are to remind people that different coloured produce has different benefits and we should be eating a rainbow of produce.

It is a bit misleading in terms of the 42%. It is the risk of death from 2 major categories. Obviously the risk of death is 100%. We really need these studies to focus on the gain in life expectancy or quality rather than risk of death.

13. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    I eat from the 5 basics but find it hard to get enough fruit, especially fresh. I live alone, eat alone, and fruit can go bad too fast if I buy too much. I learned recently, from a gal that runs an Adult Foster Care that she uses canned fruit often, when it is hard to get fresh (out of season etc.). She told me rinsing canned fruit in a collander can remove much of the added sugar and syrup. I am doing this now, although I don't like doing it, I feel it isn't going to hurt me, until I can get to town again for fresh, or in season fruits I enjoy.

Opinions welcome, maybe someone else does this as well??

14. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I love fruit it helps soothe my appetites, I eat fruit thru out the day now especially if I have not had any lunch or anything. When I cant eat breakfast on my way to work I stop at a stop and get me a fruit bowl that sold in a store in the delhi.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's right, fruit not only is good for us, but also prevents us from eating things that are not as healthy, especially when we eat fruit out of the meals. I don't think fruit after the meals is as healthy as out, but certainly it's better than nothing.

16. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I love fruit and eat it almost every day, but I believe veggies are much more important. Fruit = lots of sugar. Certainly, we need fruit and it does contain a lot of nutrients, but veggies are really what we need to eat more of.

17. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    Do any of you have an opinion on canned fruit if nothing else is available? Fresh I mean, isn't available? Did you ever hear of rinsing canned fruit to eliminate extra sugar etc.? Would you eat from a can in order to get fruit or go without?

Does anyone know about the preservatives/added sugars, or even the effects of canning on our produce? I would like to learn from you girls if you care to share, Denise;)

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't eat a lot of fruit, and I hate that! I would love to be a person who loves fruits, but I only like a handful of fruit types, like mango, strawberries, banana... and even those I don't eat often.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I eat fruits. I usually do after meals. Instead that I take a chocolate, a cake or any processed or unhealthy sweets, I eat fruits. They are very nutritious. They contain a lot of pythochemicals that help us strengthen our immune system for defense to viral and bacterial attacks. They fuel up cell renewal and build up, making our bodies up-to-date, making us look young and healthy. I also take them as my snacks. But I don't drown myself with them as though they are beneficial, they contain significant amount of sugar in the form of fructose and that if they accumulate could give us diabetes.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think many people eat so much fruits that can cause them diabetes, most likely due to other unhealthy foods and not fruits, but you're right, some fruits to have too much sugar like grapes for example. I think that non-processed foods like fruits are the best, no doubt there.