Do you turn your computer off at night?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Strykstar • Apr 10, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you turn your computer off when you leave for more than a couple of hours or do you keep it always running?
    I have a couple of friends in each category, the ones that leave it on compare it to turning off a car at a red light, it's already working, it would take more power to turn it back on than keep it running, whereas my other friends claim that it's a huge waste of energy. Does it really consume that much electricity?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends actually.

Here's a good breakdown:

So someone who runs a power hog with lots of monitors, etc, is going to be using more energy than someone on a little laptop that they barely use. It also makes a difference if the computer goes into sleep mode when they're away from it.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to leave my last computer on all the time because it would sometimes not want to turn back on after being off for a while, since it was on its last legs.
    I turn my current computer off because I read on a website that you save $80 a year in electricity by turning it off, but that statistic could be wrong, so I'll have to look it up on some other sites.

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always turn my computer off because I really see no point in leaving it on, it's like leaving the light or the TV when it's not being needed. Apart from the electricity consumption I also think it doesn't do any good to the computer to be on for so long.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always turn the pc off when it's not in use, but when I'm downloading something or I'm only gonna be out for 30 mins. or less, then I leave it on, since the pc doesn't consume that much electricity anyway as compared to other appliances.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I would leave for a couple of hours, then I would definitely turn my computer off. It would definitely save electricity rather than leaving it on for hours. I believe that a computer isn't like a car and it's not like you'll leave only for a couple of minutes. If you'd leave for maybe 10 minutes then get back to work on your computer, is it logical to turn it off first then turn it back on?

7. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I used to leave my computer on overnight to download things when I had slow internet. Besides that, I always turn it off at night. It's harder to sleep with the noise of it too. I've never thought about using the sleep function over night before, but my computer turns doesn't take that long to turn. It just feels good to restart Windows machines.

#7Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  8. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I turn my computer off at night.

It is a habit that i had to force on to myself though. It's hard thing to remember when you are tired from a long day. However. I have finally got into the habit, and i turn my computer off every night.

Computer burn a lot of energy. You will save a lot of money by turning it off when no one is using it. You should never leave anything that burns energy on when no one is using. I have seen a 30% decrease in my electric bill since i started doing this.

I recommend everyone do the same.

9. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    There are two schools of thought. One says heating/cooling repeat process can eventually weaken the components from turning on/off the computer every day. Others say it gives the machine a break. I'm not sure which to buy into.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know about the energy consumption, but I sure no about the feeling of radiation. I couldn't leave my computer or mobile phone on overnight. I feel physically disturbed by it. Also, I would never want all these machines to take over my life so much that they become an integral part of my every day existence.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, I don't think it is. The main reason I say 'no' there is because it's going to mean that your fans, etc, have to start up each time. It's less wear and tear on a fan to continue turning than it is for it to come to a full stop and then be started up again. If you're doing this excessively, it's a lot of wear and tear on your other hardware, too.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From experience I know, a computer doesn't consume a lot of electricity or at least mine, with its modifications and stuff, doesn't.

If I have to g somewhere and it will take me a couple of hours then I simply hit the sleep button to send the computer into standby mode so I can resume what I was doing fast, when I get back. But switch it off totally, I hardly ever do that.

13. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I turn my computer off at night to.

This is a great saving tip that most people are not aware of. You would be surprised at how many people i see leave their computer on when no one is using it. That really bothers me. That is like throwing away money.

If only they new how much they would save on their electric bill each month if they would just turn it off. However. It is none of my business what they do. I always turn off things when no one is using them.

14. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    laptops do not use a lot of power but altogether you should turn them off when you are not using them. I normally turn mine off when am not around and also at night. It is simple process of giving the laptop time to cool down and it can work well again when you boot it again.

15. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not turn my pc off at night and I'm well aware its a horrible personal habit I have. I keep a fan whirring too so there's no doubt I waste a lot of electricity. With the fan I have a weird condition where I struggle with insomnia without the sound of it, but I probably keep the pc out of habit. Or I just forget, its something I really need to work on.

16. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I normally do not turn my computer off, as I have things running in the background when I am not using it. Just for clearing memory and cache stuffs, I turn off the computer about twice a week. During the summer time when it gets hotter, I turn it off about 3-4 times a week.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I leave my computer on as long as sleep mode is enabled. I believe it is less strain on the system as opposed to constantly rebooting all the time. However that said, two of my computers have died due to me leaving them on while I was away on vacation. I had taken them out of sleep mode because I was downloading some large files and I didn't want them shutting down while the file transfers were in progress. However I suspect leaving the drives spinning without any activity going on somehow managed to damage them because they were beyond repair by the time I got back.

18. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Wow I had no idea this topic would be so divisive, lots of people on both sides of the argument.
    Sounds like leaving it on or in sleep mode might be less harmful to the computer but it does save some money in electricity costs.

19. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a small apartment (where my computer-room also serves as my living-room, dining-room & kitchen), so I leave it on standby if I'm off the computer (still at home) for longer than 5 minutes, and I DO turn it off every night. But when I'm out of the apartment (during the day) I usually leave it on running an automatic traffic-exchange (giving others on the exchanges the chance to join me in 'Working Hardly')

The pagee (given in a reply above ours) says:

#19Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  20. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    When I first got internet my PC was running 24/7 downloading all the stuff I could get. Day and night it was running minus the times power outs happened. These days I barely download anything so I turn off my computer for the night. I get to save a little money on electricity and I can sleep in peace, those damn fans make a huge racket!