Housewarming gift

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Strykstar • Apr 14, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    What is your go-to housewarming gift?
    This is something I always struggle with as you don't know what the person needs and it's awkward to ask, so I just end up getting some generic thing.

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I always go with something edible or a drink (if they drink). If they are wine drinkers, it is easy. A nice bottle of wine is always a nice gift and one that is appreciated. If they aren't wine drinkers I might go with a nice liquor or even a 6 pack of good beer. If they aren't drinkers, I often provide a meal during the time that they are getting settled in. Who doesn't like a night free of cooking?

I'm not big on nick-nacks, personally, so I hate doing something like that to someone else. Flowers are also a good alternative to food, or even a night of free baby-sitting if they have kids. I really try to think of things that would be a blessing to me (right after I've moved) and try to give that as a gift to someone else.

3. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I agree with Clairebeautiful that edible gifts are far more appreciated than knickknacks or decorative items. Personally, a cake or meal, a bottle of wine, etc. would make a great gift, especially as we're settling into our new home. If you're just bringing a gift to new neighbors, I might shy away from alcohol in case they don't drink. Perhaps pork sausages wouldn't make the best gift either haha. Anyway, I think housewarming gifts are more about the thought than the utility in the house.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great idea, a meal would definitely be very appreciated, it could be a home-cooked meal or even a gift-card for a nearby restaurant.
    I guess it really depends on the type of person it is though, if you want to really spend some time with them or just make the nice gesture of welcoming them.

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I usually bring a bottle of wine over or something like a basic of basic condiments or items they will need to fill up their fridge lol Think about how annoying it is having to start over with the items in your fridge.

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I remember it very well, I moved out of my parent's house about 4 years ago.
    I remember going grocery shopping with my GF for the first time the day we moved in and we didn't even need a list because we needed EVERYTHING :)

7. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's my least favorite part because you end up spending double or triple what you normally would at the grocery store!! I also hated throwing out perfectly good condiments at the old house, but if you're moving a distance it's just not possible to save them :)

8. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Buy a medium sized wicker basket to put those condiments in. Baskets can come in handy after a move. Some people toss the ones they had rather than moving them.

I had a friend make a laundry gift basket for me. Soap, stain remover, liquid softener, fabric softener ball, color-safe bleach and softener sheets all in a laundry basket. That might sound cheap and cheesy to some people, but I assure you, it was highly appreciated.

9. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly. I would still present the items in a nice way that makes it look like a gift. The basket idea is a great idea.

I think these gifts - like your laundry basket one - really show that you care.

10. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I think a nice bottle of wine is always a safe bet, if the person is a drinker. A bouquet of flowers is also always thoughtful, in my opinion. It kind of brings a little life to what is probably still a pretty cold-feeling home.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Same here.

I will sometimes ask in advance if I can bring an appetizer or dessert. Many cooks/hosts will initially say "no" to any offer of bringing food or helping in anyway, but by offering an "optional" meal for before or after, they will sometimes accept. This makes it even easier to bring something.

12. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the person. For my close friends, I like to get them a fancy candle or diffuser. As long as it is something they like and wouldn't buy themselves I consider the gift a success. If it's not a close friend I like to stick with wine, chocolate or flowers in a vase. I do like some of the more practical, but still very cute ideas I read in this thread. I think I will try the laundry basket idea next time I need a gift. I never know what to do because I want to indulge the recipient but also get them something useful.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Can never go wrong with a bottle of wine. Especially with the stress of a new move, the new neighbors/tenants etc, it's something they can always will appreciate. Buying appliances can be awkward as you don't really know if they need it or not. Probably sticking with a good bottle of wine or perhaps taking them out to dinner would be two of the best options that would be most appreciated.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually give a potted plant as a housewarming gift. A pothos costs $10, looks beautiful and is pretty hard to kill. I bought a pothos and a potted palm for my new apartment and it instantly looked 20% better.
    Plants really bring a home to life.

15. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I would just bring a food to be safe. If I have seen the house prior to the housewarming and I have an idea about the overall theme and style of the house, I may look for a home decor which is appropriate. Overall, I still think bringing food for the party is safer because at least you need not worry if the owner of the house will like the gift or not.

There were also times that I have brought flower instead, to use as decoration during the party and the succeeding days. I think that's a practical option too.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My go to housewarming gift for people I barely know is a spice rack or a plant. If it someone that I really know well, then I would tailor the gift to them. I try not to give generic gifts to people that I know.

17. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I attend for the housewarming, my standard gift is a candle. I don't know what's with the candle. Originally, it was my grandmother. When we were attending housewarming back when I was just a kid, she used to bring candles. And now that I have grown up too and get invites for housewarming I also bring candles, scented ones. It's probably because it's a good luck charm.