Homemade popcorn.

Discussion in Food & Drink started by prettycolors • Apr 14, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Are you making your own popcorn or do you buy it already made?

Myself, I buy the corn and then use a normal frying pan to make my own popcorn. Not only it is cheaper but also healthier because I can use my own spices and oils to give it flavor. There's also the option of microwave popcorn but I avoid it since they use artificial flavors.

What about you?

2. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    I'm very lazy, so I usually just buy a bag of toffee popcorn when I want some. I never really have it when I'm at home though so that's not too much of an issue though.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to make my own popcorn. I really don't like the pre-made microwave popcorn bags, because the butter flavoring they put in them tastes very artificial and is usually way too salty. It actually burns my mouth and makes my taste buds feel numb for a while after eating it. Even the stuff that is supposedly all natural or made with real butter still tastes artificial.

Many people don't realize this but you can easily make microwave popcorn with just a paper lunch bag and some kernels. Just toss some kernels in the bag, and roll up the end tightly to seal it, then just microwave it like any other popcorn. It's much healthier than buying the pre-packaged stuff. Plus you can make the exact amount you want. It's also cheaper too, and you can go for higher quality kernels with the money you are saving.

I've been meaning to buy some nutritional yeast, as I heard that is good sprinkled on popcorn. I've also been dabbling in some vegetarian/vegan recipes lately.