What kind of Shampoo do you use?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Eagle910 • Apr 15, 2014.

1. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Is there any difference between the cheap brands, and the expensive ones?

I always thought that shampoo is, Shampoo. There is no difference. Although lately i have been starting to question that theory. I recently started to use Head & Shoulders, and the difference is extremely noticeable.

I no longer have flakes, or itching. My hair is more healthy than it has ever been. I didn't believe in buying expensive brands, but i have to admit that i was wrong.

What kind of Shampoo do you use?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there's some distinction between different brands of shampoo. I mainly use Clear and Head and Shoulders. I like their shampoo that has mint in it. It's very cool in the scalp. I also used Rejoice before and I also liked it a lot because my hair was soft and smooth and easy to comb if I used Rejoice.

Still, regardless if it's cheap or not, choose the shampoo that best fits your hair.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Several friends of mine who currently work in salons or have worked in salons in the past have all told me that the more expensive stuff really isn't much better than the discount stuff at all.

I used to be a die hard fan of Vavoom brand shampoo. I loved the smell of it because it was pretty neutral and very clean. The salon quality shampoos aimed at men go way overboard with the cheap cologne scent to them, that would interfere with my own colognes. I would also use the Vavoom brand gel along with it. But I had to take a step back and just stop it all, because I was blowing nearly $30 a month just on hair care products. That (at the time) was a phone bill or my cable bill.

I went through another phase where I was ordering Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo from the Philippines. I used to love the smell of that stuff as a kid, and I freaked out when I found out you could get it online, so I started ordering it regularly. That had to stop too, as I had too many other bills to take care of.

Now I just use Suave brand shampoo. Not only that, I get it at places like Big Lots, where it is even cheaper - like $1.30 a bottle.

4. TerrillLouis

TerrillLouisNew Member

Threads:
    I use the anti dandruff shampoo for my hair and I've noticed a huge difference between the cheap drugstore brands and the more expensive brands. I think there are better quality ingredients in the salon brands and every salon brand won't work for your hair, so you have to try different brands to find which works for you.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use shampoos that are natural and don't contain any parabens or other nasty ingredients. I buy them online form iherb, my most favourite site on the internet, where you can get all your skin, hair and health products at amazing prices. But the best thing is that there is a list of ingredients for every product.

6. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I find the generic brand and the regular bottle of head and shoulders is the same. It equally kept my hair clean and kept the dandruff at bay. I used both for many years to deal with my dandruff. I won't lie though, when I left the stressful enviroment that I was in my dandruff went away. I was able to use other shampoos. Also, tea tree oil helped my dandruff. Take half of regular shampoo out of the bottle. Put a few drops of the oil in it and mix. Wash with it and then wash with the regular.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm currently using a Tresemme set of Argain oil shampoo and conditioner. It's an affordable drugstore option, but I like it. I don't think it's worth spending a lot when it comes to shampoo and conditioner. Drugstore brands do just as good of a job! I also really like Wella for hair products.

8. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Herbal essences, coconut and...something or other.

I bought a ton of them a while back when they were on sale, and I've been using them ever since. They last me quite a while as well.

9. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    I don't know about whether the more expensive shampoos really make a difference, but when I switched to Head and Shoulders, the difference was noticeable. My hair was softer and flake-free all while smelling pretty darn good, so ever since then I've been using Head and Shoulders as my shampoo (and conditioner with the 2-in-1 bottle) of choice. Highly recommend.

10. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I usually rotate three brands of shampoo every couple of months. Two of them are anti-dandruff and one is regular. This seems to work fine since my hair develops some kind of tolerance when using only one brand. How do I know when to change? Every 200ml bottle I finish, I then switch to the next brand. When the cold season kicks in, I only toggle between the two anti-dandruff ones as my scalp tend to itch during this season.

11. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    I use 365 from Whole Foods. I love the fact it doesn't leave a build up in my hair which I've always had a problem with. The best part is its free. I buy the kids cheap shampoo because they use way too much of it at a time. I take the empty bottles into Whole Foods for their swap program.

12. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I like to alternate between a sulfate free shampoo and a shampoo specifically for color treated hair. I like the sulfate free because it is better for the environment and it's also gentle on your hair. This shampoo used to be pretty expensive but there are now some less expensive alternatives. I like using shampoo for color treated hair because I figure I pay so much for my highlights I should protect them. I prefer to buy salon shampoos but will use drugstore in a pinch.

13. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I definitely think there is a difference in brands of shampoo. Store brand shampoo still smells good but it tends to leave a residue on my hair and I just don't feel like my hair gets clean while I use it.

My favorite brands of shampoo/conditioner are Herbal Essences and Garnier Fructis. I like that they have different lines dedicated to "issues" that people have with their hair. I have used several different one such as "hydrating" and "volumizing" and had great luck with all of them. I also use Head & Shoulders when I experience dry scalp or dandruff and it usually clears my scalp up within a few washes. That's pretty awesome.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is actually a reason why prices vary, you know. Of course you won't be getting the same quality of an expensive brand with a cheap brand, right? :D

Anyway, I used to use Head And Shoulders, but now I just use Dove Shampoo.

15. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I have curly hair so I need a pretty good shampoo and conditioner. Conditioner is the most important, I only use a tiny bit of shampoo. Like for every bottle of a shampoo i go through 3 of conditioner. I've used a lot of brands, but there's only 2 I use now. My favorite is Fructis, I use the Tripple Nutrition Creamy Shampoo and the Conditioner. When I can't afford that one I use the Suave Professional Humectant Conditioner. I like that the Suave one comes in a pretty big size for cheaper than the Fructis and it's still pretty efficient at helping me detangle my hair.

16. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Usually cheaper is sometimes better. I some used a dollar tree brand its in the pink bottle its good also. I love Pantene its a great option, my mom loves it too. Another one that I think is the best Tresemme is makes the hair silky smooth and it smells awesome. I bought it at my local Family Dollar for $3.75 and $3.75 for the conditioner also. I had a gunky mess in my hair from getting my hair done and it saved my and made it fresh and clean.

17. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I use whatever brand is on sale for my hair type.
    Right now I'm using Head&Shoulders because a month ago it was on sale for 60% off so I picked up a couple of bottles.
    I don't really notice any difference as long as it's for my hair type so when these bottles end I'll buy whatever is on sale then.

18. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I use different shampoo. The main shampoo I use is Pantene. It does wonders for my hair. I read before that you shouldn't stick to one shampoo so I change it up from time to time. My hair is dry so I tend to get dandruff a lot. It is so hard to find a shampoo that gets rid of dandruff as well as does the other things I want for my hair so I have to change up the kinds I use.

19. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I used to use redken and swore and still swear by it as my hair was healthy and strong and shiny. Now that I don't have the money to buy those products anymore I have looked for the ones that don't have all the fake stuff in it like protein builders etc as they line the hair with rubbish that blocks the follicles. I have yet to find a decent shampoo

20. Allie

AllieNew Member

Threads:
    I also used to think it that shampoo was shampoo too, until recently. I have also had issues shampoos leaving my hair feeling like straw, but Dove doesn't seem to do that. Since discovering that, I have yet to try another shampoo or conditioner. However, in the past I used Herbal Essence, which I then loved, but noticed it was really starting to dry out my hair.

DOVE ALL THE WAY! :)