Can too many apps slow down your phone?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Eagle910 • Apr 16, 2014.

1. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I have an extremely high amount of apps on my phone, and lately i have been experiencing performance issues.

My phone is loading, and reacting to commands very slow. Could this have anything to do with the amount of apps that i have on my phone? Those apps are not always running. I installed a process manager that cancels any process that i am not currently using. So i know the apps are not running in the background

That leads me to my question. Can having a lot of apps affect the speed of my phone even if they are not running?

2. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you said that they aren't always running, but are you sure of that? If they're running in the background, that would cause a serious slow down - I would think anyway. But in general, if you don't have a lot of memory space on your phone and you have tons of apps and pictures that take up all the space, that could also slow things down!

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, too many apps can definitely slow down your phone. It can slow it down in a variety of ways. First, if a lot of apps are running at the same time, it will bog down your phone to snail speed. It would hang, etc. If they aren't running, too many apps can still slow your mobile device down. How? If you're memory is running low because of an app overload, then definitely your phone would slow down.

My recommendation? Uninstall all the apps that you no longer use.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, of course. It is the same thing as having tons of programs loaded on your computer. I don't know the technical terms for cell phones, but when you use up almost all of your computer memory (or RAM) to run programs it slows everything down. This is why people buy more RAM to speed up their computer.

Your phone is the exact same way. The newest phone on the market is simply going to have the most amount of memory - so it will hold more apps without affecting speed and performance. It also matters if your internet runs on 3 or 4G. 4G is about a billion times faster than 3G when it comes to accessing the Internet.

I agree that you should delete any apps you do not make use of. You might also want to figure out which apps are slowing things down the most. I'll be honest, my phone started running 100X better when I deleted Pandora. I did use it, but not enough to justify how much it was slowing things down.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well there's your answer right there. Yes, most apps run on the background resulting in slowed down phone performance, I suggest you download yet another app that will help you clean up your phones RAM and eliminate apps that runs on the background. But the best solution is for you to uninstall all the apps that you're not using, I'm sure there got to be one or more that's just sitting there in your phone.

6. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I personally think it does. Apps take up a lot of space on phones and somehow it would affect the performance of the phone. As someone pointed out, it works the same way as your computer. If you have too many programs running/installed in the computer, the processor will be divided hence the slow speed of the system. The best way is to do a clean up on phone and delete all the apps that you don't really need. :p

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always had phone issues when I downloaded apps. I don't do it at all anymore and I have zero issues with my phone now. It used to give me so many problems and I barely downloaded anything. Just a few and I'm very careful with my download types and sources. I was constantly having to restart the phone or do whatever tricks to fix the specific issue I was having, but since using it only for phone ,text, occasional videos and web searches, I haven't had one issue. My phone has lasted forever. The only issues I now have are those everyone has with this specific brand

8. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Of course it can. My sister was having problems with her phone being excessively slow, and I did some prodding around to find gigabytes of video on the phone, which isn't good when it only has 8GB of internal storage... After removing them, the phone went back to normal speed. I definitely recommend Clean Master, as it helps get the stuff slowing your phone down off of it, or at least disabled.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Too many apps will only slow down your phone if they're all running in the foreground or background at once. If you have tons of apps and they're not running, then it won't do anything to bog down your device. It's important to make sure that you constantly close apps you're no longer using. Doing so will increase your battery life, reduce processor usage, and speed up the device in a noticeable way.

10. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Imagine your phone as a table. you put a lot of things on top of it, sharpener, hole puncher, your tea up, your keys, your laptop, and so many other things but when in fact you are not using it all.. you put them all on one side (but still on the table) would it still affect your work space and how you perform your work?

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm using an ipad that constantly only has a few MB of free space left and even if I have many apps opened it doesn't really lag. I'm unsure whether this is because the opened apps are just light so the machine can handle it but I always expect some lag but it never does happen for me. I guess there is a slight lag here and there but it's hardly noticeable and I'm unsure if it's specifically because I have the memory filled up or I'm running several apps at a time.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Having several apps, especially the heavy ones, can affect the performance of your smartphone. Not just Internet connection speed, but the ease of navigation in general will also be affected to a great extent. As you well know, they consume a chunk of your memory space. To give my phone more breathing room, I regularly uninstall apps (especially games) that are no longer necessary.

13. Arajoo

ArajooNew Member

Threads:
    Yes the culprit with slow phones can be your own apps as well. I have been using my phone for a year and it is really slow until one time that my brother have locked in my phone because he was not able to guess my security lock, I had to do one thing I don't want to do, and that is to reformat!
    That was a really heart breaking scenario and all of my games was gone. However my phone became responsive and fast afterwards, so it was a blessing in disguise.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Too many apps can definitely slow down your phone. My phone is almost to the full capacity, and it's getting a little slow. Even though it's new, it does not have as many gigabytes as my previous one had so I had to decrease the amount of apps they had dramatically. having a lot of apps can cause your phone to freeze up all the time and become slow. It is always good to check which ones you're not using and delete them.

15. d4rk3n

d4rk3nNew Member

Threads:
    A good thing to do periodically would be to check what apps are using most of your RAM, while running in background. It helps you to decide which apps you need to uninstall.