How best to clean doonas at home?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Dora M • Apr 16, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been raining heavily for months here, and I survived the Monsoon season rather well, apart from noticing a musty smell from the doona in my guestroom.
    I have washed it and dried it in the little sun that was available, but still can't get completely rid of the smell. It's a duck feather doona that is only about a year old.
    What to do? I can't take it to a dry cleaner just at the moment.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    If you have a washing machine then you can put it in there with a pair of tennis shoes. Let the doona wash out and then hang it to dry on a line or put it in your dryer with the same pair of tennis shoes. This will help it from clumping. I have heard people say it is not good to wash the feathers but I have washed mine and found that as long as it dried completely it didn't have a problem. But if you do not dry it completely that musty smell is going to become ten times worse. Sometimes I add some essential oil to my laundry soap and it helps replace old smells. I also always have some Dry-ell packets in my home too for dry cleaned items that I am worried about washing. I hope that helps!