Save by paying for basic only on cable?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by Denis Hard • Apr 16, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Needless to say, cable TV can be ridiculously expensive. With cheaper online streaming services you could dispense with paying for premium channels and stuff.

Wouldn't it be better to stream your movies for as low as 8 bucks and pay a little [the the prices will differ from provider to provider] for basic broadcast packages?

Your thoughts, please?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well if you ask me, I would not even avail of a cable subscription anymore, because everything that I need is pretty much online anyway, I can download whole seasons of tv shows and movies via torrents, and watch pretty much everything on Youtube, so cable isn't necessary for me. We even have cable at home and I don't even watch tv at all.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have now given up paying for the basic package and instead opted for a customized list of fewer channels because I found that I get to save a bit from cutting down. The basic package is nice and it is fairly complete, but I found that there are many channels offered there that I never use and I think they purposely bundle it that way for this reason so that customers will be paying for channels they never use under the disguise of saving via package deals. I don't blame them, though, since it is only natural for this business to do it this way, and I'm just thankful that they offer the option to customize, though I've given up a few of my channels that were expensive when purchased separately.

4. fivebyfive

fivebyfiveNew Member

Threads:
    I actually used to purchase an expanded package from my cable company based off of the list of channels that I simply couldn't do with out. For instance if BBC America was on a higher package than the basic one I'd aim for that one. Then I realized that with streaming over the internet that's silly. Now I only have basic cable and I download or stream everything else that I watch. It's a lot cheaper.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not have cable, I look at everything online at youtube and netflix. The local channels that I get are fine. I don't look at a lot of tv to warrant me paying for cable.

6. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I only get basic cable because I use a lot of internet. I write and do research online. We are not close to broadcast tv so our antenna can be easily interrupted by weather. I use a roku box and pay for Hulu+ and Netflix. We get on demand as part of our basic cable and can get some reruns not available on our streaming services.