The simplest way to save money on clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Apr 16, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How often do we ignore this obvious but most and probably best way to save money clothes? Supposing you didn't have to save on clothes at all?

That is you don't need to buy any clothes at all?

Sounds like one of those many scams right?

But this one isn't. Most people don't bother caring for their clothes in the right way. The 'care instructions' tag normally is ignored altogether or treated as a mere suggestion. The people who made those clothes know their stuff so if they say hand-wash they meant exactly that.

The longer your clothes last, the less you're going to spend on buying new replacements.

2. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    That is true. I do keep many items for years. I have a favorite pair of sweatpants that I sleep and lounge in that are from Express (So high quality made) and the where given to me when I was 16. I am now 26 and they still fit and are well cared for. LOL. That may be an extreme example, but I do try to keep care of my clothes so that they last and I can enjoy them for as long as I want. While I buy a couple of pieces of clothes each year, I am not one to buy new clothes every week or month. That to me is a waste.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    This is so true. I find myself often throwing some clothes, that should be washed by hand, in the washing machine because it's more convenient. Then again, I often buy second hand so caring for my clothes is not that important since I'm not paying that much to buy them in the first place. Worth mentioning is that I obsess over certain clothing items and I tend to wear them and nothing else for quite a while (obviously I wash them, but I wear them a lot :eek:). And wearing them often makes them degrade faster.

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    That, and--while I was growing-up--most of my clothes were hand-me-downs from my older cousins!

... Ain't it a low-down, dirty shame that 'a quick, efficient answer like that' doesn't "qualify" because it does not have the required, necessary number of words? But you KNOW there are people out there who would go to EVERY SINGLE THREAD on this forum and type some too-short comment like "Good ;-)" and earn just as much as us responsible, 'at least 60-word (as monitored by LetterCounter.org)' writers. "One bad apple spoils the 'group of apples' ('bushel'? I can't

for apples :( and have to rely on Geoffrey Rush's performance as Cap`n Barbosa :D ).

#4Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  5. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    This is so true! A good example of this is a beautiful expensive set of lingerie I got a few months ago. Now, these should've lasted me years! But my sister decided to do my washing and put them on a normal wash with lots of detergent and conditioner and then put them in the dryer! They were silk/ satin and lace material and have now come out torn :( I hate other people doing my laundry.

6. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I read the instructions before I buy clothes. I don't wants items than require hand washing or dry cleaning if I can avoid it. With few exceptions like a sweater or a jacket, I really don't need clothes that can't be washed in a machine. As most of my clothes don't get really dirty, I can wash them in cooler water and on a more gentle cycle and they still come out clean. While nothing is going to let my clothes last forever, I think you are tight about cleaning clothes correctly to extend their life.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    You will be an excellent wife (that covers 'if you already ARE an excellent wife,' ja?), especially if you 'assume ownership' of ALL "housework-chores" in this way

#7Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    In my opinion the cheapest way to buy clothes is to hunt for bargains.

I personally buy my clothes online. There is a lot of money to be saved online. There are a lot of discount outlets that sell online exclusively. Not to mention that you can buy your clothes directly from the manufacturer. Which will generate even more savings.

Simply you cut out the middle man, or retailer. Which means you eliminate what ever charge they might add on to the product.