How fast do you drive?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Apr 16, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ever heard someone complain that their car consumes too much gas? Well, the speed at which you drive your car determines how much gas is consumed. The faster you drive, the more you pay for gas.

So, when people go out for a road trip, they tend to drive extremely fast when they're returning home because "they've seen all they wanted to see." That kind of thinking can be very unfriendly to your wallet. I'm curious though, would you drive real slow to save money on gas?

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is true Denis and I am well aware of it. I used to have a heavy foot and now I am much lighter, I drive way slower because it costs me to fill the tank, so it's a sacrifice I make to save some money. On top of that, it's also safer to driver slower. ;)

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a pretty fast driver! I try to drive slower for safety reasons (and also not to get a speeding ticket!), but I speed up unconsciously and have to be constantly reminding myself to slow down and get my foot off the accelerator.

4. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting. I never though about it, but it does make sense. I almost always go the speed limit or a little bit over. I have friends who drive way over the limit or they just never pay attention to it.

5. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Wouldn't it all even out?

If you drive faster that means that you will get to your destination faster. That is why it is called "Miles per hour". If you drive slower, it will take you longer to reach your destination. Therefore burning more gas.

All of this evens out. You would use the same amount of gas either way. Getting to the destination faster is giving you the illusion that you are burning more gas.

6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    That is true, I can sometimes drive a bit too fast and miss turns I need to make and it can create more problems for me. I need to remember to slow down and not be in such a hurry. That can be difficult at times though when people sometimes will tailgate you for not driving fast enough lol.

7. silentrascal

silentrascalNew Member

Threads:
    Usually if I'm on a long drive on the interstate, I tend to stay either right at the posted speed limit (particularly if I'm in a known speed trap area) or maybe 5 mph above it. I can't stand those types who go flying past you doing 90 and 100 mph and weave and bob in and out of traffic. They're the sort of driver who gets others killed. Typically in an urban area I'll do between 50-60, whether the posted limit is 45 or so. But it really depends on the kind of area I'm in. If I'm on a narrow two-lane street that is in a well-populated area, I'll stay closer to 45-50. If I'm in a 50 mph zone and wait out in the country with hardly any life or homes nearby, I may have a slightly heavier foot.

8. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fast driver at all. It doesn't matter the destination of where I am going. On the streets and highways, I always follow the speed limits within those areas. I find it funny how some drivers tend to tailgate me a lot when I am driving at the right speed. I always knew the faster you drive the more gas you burn. I'm not suggesting slower is better because it doesn't necessarily prevent accidents. However, I'm a cautious driver and super cheap when it comes to spending money. Times is hard and I will utilize every option available to save money on gas. The gas prices in my area is absolutely ridiculous and I can't afford to waste anything nowadays.

9. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    There is an optimum speed at which fuel economy is best.

Take a look at the graph here:

You can see that maximum MPG is around 55 MPH. Drive faster and you get too much air drag. Drive slower and you waste fuel on keeping the engine running. The optimum speed is unique for each car and depends on many variables such as engine size and make, car weight, car shape and much more. Most cars, however are designed for maximum fuel economy at the legal driving speed, around 55 MPH.

10. Broadleaf

BroadleafMember

Threads:
    I drive the speed limit. That way, I save money by not receiving speeding tickets! I can understand where you all are coming from, but I simply don't have the patience to match my speed for maximum kilometers per liter.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had my car for a long time, and that's got a lot to do with the way I have been treating it. I am careful and conscientious driver, sticking to the speed limit, taking special care on rough roads and trying to avoid potholes wherever possible. My car is very economic as it runs on diesel, and I will keep it until I can't drive it anymore. I love my old car.

12. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    Due to some bad experiences with cars I have reduced the speed at which I drive. I try my best to keep my speed under 80km an hour. Speed kills and so over time I have reduced my speed. And one thing I've learned is that as you reduce you speeds you get to enjoy the journey more. You get to see the environment and you get to experience life. The other thing is that you are guaranteed to arrive alive on the site. There is nothing better than getting to your destination without a scratch.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I drive slow most of the time because I'm very accident prone and would rather be careful. I know it can be stressful for the people behind me but I've stopped worrying about that because it's not like they would foot the bill if I got into an accident. Also, I've never been much of a speed freak anyway and I actually like calm driving because I get to appreciate the surroundings more and even check out the establishments I'm passing by.

14. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Basically the fast lane is the passing lane-stay right pass left.I also want to like left hand drive and go for a long drive with the family member's...

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I drive slower to reduce the stress on the vehicle and to save gas. A slower moving vehicle also allows the driver to be aware of the other vehicles on the road to avoid a collision which is a good thing. The reaction time is better for a slower moving vehicle, speed is not your friend.

16. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on where I'm driving. If it's on the express way, I'll usually drive around 75 to 80, but that's considered "slow" for that road. I always have people fly past me, going 90 something. It also depends on the weather conditions. I'm not going to speed, when it's raining or snowing!

17. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am driving more and more slowly as the time goes by. A few years ago I was an ace on the roads, but with age I realize that it's not only dangerous, but also costly to the pocket. ;)

18. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    Well yes and no, It all depends on what is more important. Some people value there time and don't mind to spend more money on gas if there going to get to there destination faster. Usually I just go the speed limit.

19. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I am well aware of this fact and i drive quite slowly not because of the amount gas the car consumes but because i would like to avoid certain accidents that could easily happen if you drive fast. My family have met with an accident due to driving fast and from then on i drive slowly. I remember that every time i drive.

20. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    I am not a fast driver but sometimes I like it as an adventure. Most of the time, I like to drive slowly for a safety issue because I think life never meet you again. there is only once chance for you so, I must say be careful about you and your while driving.