Old equipments energy efficiency

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Gelsemium • Apr 16, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's known that most older equipments (refrigerators, washing machines and so on) are not as energy efficient as newer equipments, so on the long run do you think it's worth it to change them for new ones or do you think we should stick with ours as long as they are working properly?

2. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    It's something I've thought about already in the past. Back in 2006, we bought a 47" LED TV that uses up to around 240 watts of electricity (I used a meter to measure this); nowadays the newer LED TVs are far more energy efficient.

In fact, back when I bought the TV, that piece of information about energy usage just wasn't readily available but nowadays you can find the wattage usage fairly easily when you buy the product.

Despite the energy savings, I'd still stick to the same old equipment until it brakes as it's in my opinion not worth chucking aside a perfectly working piece of equipment.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    It really would depend on how old the old items are and how much better the new ones are. For an appliance like a fridge, they can last many years without problems and that means that they can be fairly old. If my fridge were more than 15 years old, I might consider replacing it with a more efficient one as the fridge runs all the time and the savings would add up. For an item like a washing machine, they have a shorter lifespan due to the water and the moving parts. I think in that case, I would wait until it failed before I replaced it.

When I buy a new appliance whether it be large or small, I do compare energy usage. In Canada we have energy efficiency labels on appliances to allow consumers to compare (energuide labels). These items are rated compared to similar products so you know whether the appliance is at the low or high end for energy usage.

energ.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Actually all my major appliances (fridge and washing machine basically) are more or less 15 years old. I have a water heater that might be at least 30, but this consumes gas only. I am not planning on buying new ones because they are working fine, but it's a concern to think that they consume more than modern ones.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a way you could kill two birds with one stone. Have someone who knows something to let you know if there's a way they can change a part or two to boast energy efficiency. If they tell you it's not possible then get out your calculator and crunch some numbers. How much can you save with a new appliance [as far as power consumption is concerned] in, say, one year?

Depending on the answers you get, you could either stick with your old appliances or sell them to some sucker and get yourself something new.

6. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    We just recently replaced our A/C unit, and our power bill went from about $300 a month to around $100. The unit itself was expensive, but it was needed and no way around that, so it'll pay itself off in no time considering how much we were spending. We'd had it for about 20 years, so it definitely made a huge difference.

We also had to get a new dryer not too long ago. I'm not quite sure how old it was, but we were sucking up so much electricity running it because it was so old. We'd have to run a few towels through two or three times to get them dry, so buying a new one helped a lot. Next stop is the fridge, but it doesn't seem to be using that much and it still works fine (fingers crossed) but it's definitely on the list of things.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    This is not a bad idea, as long as you know someone reliable willing to do that for you. In case you don't, just asking for a budget for that would be really expensive. Also, these machines usually are not easily customizable, so I think it would be hard to do.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I just moved from a property with ancient appliances. It broke down often and my gas bill was through the roof. If it's possible buying new is best, though it's understandable if it's not. Just remember that not everything is made to hold up for decades.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's true, new appliances are made to last much less and those who say that the appliances are like that because people want to pay less is wrong IMO, I think that they are made like that to make us buy them more often.