Do you use surge protectors?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Denis Hard • Apr 17, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recently, a friend of mine told me that after a storm, he found out that his computer wouldn't turn on. Seeking for help, he was informed that his machine had been fried by a power surge. Doing some research, I learned that anything that has computerized components can be affected by power surges.

This can prove very expensive for you if, after a power outage or storm, all your electronics get fried by a power outage. The answer to the problem? Use a surge protector. It can save you a helluva lot of money.

#1Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    You bet. You can get some $10 surge protectors with Belkin that have warranties that will pay for your machine at least 10 times over if something happens to it. It's an investment that is well worth it, anyone who says differently doesn't know what they're talking about. I'd like to say they're talking through their hat, if anyone catches my drift.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Surge protectors are a really good idea and I have been using them both for my computer system and my TV and its peripherals for a number of years. While you can buy cheap ones, sometimes spending a little more will offer better protection. Some suppressors have cable and/or phone jack extensions to allow protection if one of those systems gets a spike.

While you can never be 100% save from a surge, the cost of replacing all the equipment far exceeds the cost of a suppressor which should last for a long time.

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    All my higher dollar items are protected by a surge protector. I refuse to have basically any appliance running without one. You never know when a storm or power outage for any other reason will occur. It's best to invest in a surge protector.

5. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I went one step further and bought a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) - the one I purchased has a surge protector built in. I'm a bit of computer geek though as it's normally not something people would buy.

Instead, for most people, I imagine a far cheaper multiadapter with surge protection will do the trick. As already mentioned by others, the insurance of protecting your valuable equipment outweighs the initial cost investment of buying a a surge protector.

6. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm...I probably should, just as a sort of insurance against it happening. We don't get many storms here, but then it would be a 'What if this did happen?' sort of thing. I'll get one soon, if I remember to. Which I probably won't knowing me, so I'll have to write it down.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Absolutely!

Like said above, they're cheap and act like built-in protection.

It's even better because they're often built into power strips so you can plug all of the accessories into it anyway and keep cords cleaned up.

8. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    I live on the Gulf Coast, so they're practically a lifesaver during hurricane season. I couldn't imagine why anyone wouldn't have these in their home. Even the cheaper ones are better than nothing. Not only are you protected, but you also have the added luxury of it being a strip so it's easier to deal with unwieldy cords and cables.

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, we use surge protectors. For our desktop computer which also holds our main backup storage system, we use the APC UPS PowerUps. For the smaller machines and laptops we use a multi-plug with power surge protection feature. In our line of work, which is mainly dependent on data and computers, we cannot risk getting our computers damaged. We also live in an area frequented by storms half of the year. Power failure is a common occurrence during the rainy months.

10. streakanime

streakanimeMember

Threads:
    Yeah, we use them around the house. I would say the first reason we use them is because of the lack of outlets. My office wouldn't be possible without surge protectors. I have dual monitors, the tower, printer, Router, a fan, and my son's television is also in my office (my office is the corner of his room). So, I'm not sure what I would do without them.

11. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I dont use a surge protector at the moment anf i am yet to get one. I have just had a bad experience with electricity lately and almost cost me a whole lot of money trying to replace a modem. Luckily i had a guarantee on the product so it was nnice and easy to replace otherwise i would have suffered a huge loss and blow to my finances. Living without internet is a challenge for me.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, in my home everything is surge protected, as we often experience electrical storms that can be devastating. A few years ago, when I didn't have the protectors, my computer got severely damaged, and I had a lot of trouble fixing it. That taught me a big lesson!

13. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I use surge protective electrical strips on every outlet on the first floor only. The first floor is where all of my sensitive computers and kitchen appliances are located. Upstairs there is nothing plugged in that I want to protect.

14. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Currently only use surge protectors on my main products like TV's or computers that are worth a lot.
    Outside of that though, I haven't really made a huge investment on that front. I've certainly been debating it, especially when it comes to "vampire" energy.

Maybe when I find a good deal I'll look into switching everything over. Just like I did when LED bulbs came on sale.

15. JoshTheboss

JoshThebossMember

Threads:
    Yup. Convenient as a socket expander and an electronic device savior!