Best pet for a small flat.

Discussion in Pets started by prettycolors • Apr 17, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    When I grew up my parents had a husky. Lots of fun and good times were had but he grew old, and like all living things, died. Now I live in flat so a cat was the best option. She's cheaper to feed and her size is perfect. I can't imagine how a dog would live in a flat as small as mine.

What about you, if your place is small, what pet do you keep?

2. Richiee

RichieeNew Member

Threads:
    It is still possible to have a pet dog even if your home is small. In fact, my family owns one and it doesn't give us any kind of problem in our house. Its also not picky in regards to its food (I guess this depends on how you raise your pet). My family owns a Maltese, and it is a very small dog. I believe that most people call dogs that size as toy dogs. The Shih Tzu, Pomeranian, and Japanese Spitz also belong to that family.

Anyway, if you are looking for a pet that you can accommodate at your house, then toy dogs would be a very good choice. This may be my dog-lover voice talking but dogs are much friendlier than cats and they are also very caring and loving. I don't even think that cats are like that.

3. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    Small dogs can still be manageable in a small apartment. I would recommend a cat or a smaller animal, though. I'm a huge fan of chinchillas myself ! You should also consider the level of commitment you can put into a pet as "cage" animals tend to be rather high maintenance.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think for a small flat or studio a cat is indeed the best option - or if you want to go for a less usual choice, a rabbit, ferret, or something like that are also fine.
    I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, so not so big not so small, and I have a Cavalier. He is not tiny, but not big either (weights around 12 pounds), so it's OK for an apartment this size. However I think anything smaller than this would not be appropriate for him.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    For small spaces, a cat would also be the best option for me. They are low-maintenance pets and are also less demanding. Cats are easy to toilet train. They only require a litter box and they go there by instinct. If they need to go out for a walk, they can do that by themselves. They don't need to take as many baths as a dog does. Generally, the choice of a pet still greatly depends on your lifestyle. In my case, I'd choose the low-maintenance ones.

6. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    A turtle or fish would be a great pet, because they could live in a small aquarium. They wouldn't take up much room on the floor or throughout the home, as they would stay in one place. Fish and turtles are cute, too :)

7. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say that a cat is your best bet for a small flat. You could also have a small dog, but seeing as dogs need to be able to run around outside and such, you would be better off with a cat. I also nwitt has got a point, and that a turtle makes a good pet too! It pretty much all depends on how much time you have to devote to care and upkeep for the animal you want.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a one bedroom apartment and my pet is a small dog called a Rat Terrier. We live right next to a park so he gets plenty of exercise. Rat Terriers can adapt to relaxing on the couch in an apartment as long as they get 30 minutes of outdoor exercise a day. My rat terrier weighs about 9 pounds, so he's a good size for the amount of space that we have.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well our place is suitable to care for a dog or a cat, but if I moved out for example and my place is quite small, then I would just stick with having a cat, hamster, or rabbit as pets. They're easy to feed and low maintenance too.

10. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    Agree, I always had fish when I lived in apartments. EASY to careful and to feed. I like turtles also. But now I raise Poison Dart frogs, they are good pets, but hard to feed!