Birthday cakes: bake them or buy them?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Apr 17, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the last years we've always baked the cakes for my kids birthdays, but this year we were too busy and we had to buy two and the result was... 30€! So next year I 'll definitely make time to bake them lol, 30€ of time to be more exact. Do you buy them or bake them?

2. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, I love baking birthday cakes! My favourite is the best chocolate cake ever recipe. if you google it, you will find it. And you will save lots of money!

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a huge baker! I like to try cooking things, like a unique dinner - but I am no expert lol. I usually buy birthday cakes, because it's something I don't do very often. I think if you're creative and have a lot of baking skills, it would be a great idea to bake your own.

4. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I would buy a birthday cake just because my baking is not at a level where I could meet my daughters design requirements for whatever she is into at the time. I would rather leave it to a professional. But in general terms of bake or buy, I don't think you can beat baking your own cake it's fun, its cheaper and it tastes better.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Neither me or the wife are pros either, far for it, but it's actually pretty simple and you save a huge amount of money. Also, if you ask your kids to participate in the baking and in the decorating it's a great familiar activity, they will love it. :)

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    We bake them! :D My mother knows her way around cakes so I made sure to learn as much as I could. Apart from the money we save, we can be sure that all the ingredients used are healthy, quality ones with no artificial coloring or flavors.

30€ is big money for just some cakes, here's hopping they were HUGE and tasty!

7. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say bake the cake, I would prefer to bake a cake before I buy one. I had a bad experience with one that I bought it was dry and not fresh baked as the clerk stated so from that day forward I never bought one I always baked. I have an aunt that can bake any type cake and she a designer so I give her the task for the kids and others if I don't bake.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, that's true, it's standard price, they don't come cheap. It was one cake around 2,3Kg and another with 1,2Kg, I think more or less 10€ per kilo, so yes, it was pricey. I've learned my lesson though, it was one time only thing!