Optimizing vacations

Discussion in Travel started by Gelsemium • Apr 17, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When going on holidays do you do plenty of maths or you just pack and go? For example, do you do a calculation of how much you'd spend on gas if you go by car to see if a plane trip is viable?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never bothered doing calculations not because they won't save me money because I'm one who loves scenery and I'm an amateur photographer. By the way, right now as I travel only within my country so it's possible to travel any place I go by car. Because of my love for photography I always drive any place I go so I can take photographs of things and places.

Sometimes, I think, you just need to give yourself a treat, regardless of how much you spend because after all, if you set money aside for travel and you use it all, it's not bad.

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Before I take a trip, we do this. But, usually we have been picking places that are only a couple of hours away so that we know it will only be gas. We'd rather spend $120 in gas then pay for both of us to fly all the way across the country. There are a lot of great vacations that are close to home if you look carefully.

4. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm, to be honest the only vacations I take require a plane or the eurostar. I live in London so if I do travel around the UK I don't really class it as a vacation. And to be honest if I did want to go to Scotland or Ireland I would jump on a plane. The price of fuel in the UK is crazy!

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On the last couple vacations I had I made some simple math do see how much approximately I would spend, packed up and went all in! I think you need to be conscious of how much you can spend not to be caught in a difficult situation, but you shouldn't be to rigid about it. If you worry too much you'll miss all the fun!

6. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to optimizing a vacation, there are two things to consider - money and time. I used to live about 800kms north of a major city and would have to come down about once a month. Timewise it took about 10 hours to drive each way or about an hour to fly. If I just was popping down for an overnight, flying made sense in spite of the greater cost. If I was going to be down for 3-4 days, then driving was a better way to go. If I needed a vehicle, driving always was better as renting a car can add up.

I think the location of the vacation and the length of time you have play an important role in deciding whether or not one should drive or fly.

7. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    No. I do not do calculations.

I just go. There is no need to calculate anything. You are going to have to spend money for whatever you need regardless. Your calculations might be wrong. So, why even waste your tie? I do not see any advantage in it at all.

I would only calculate expenses, if i was saving up money for that particular trip. Then i would need to know exactly how much money i would need to save.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    My head is filled with maths right now, I have the opportunity for an all inclusive and I'm trying to figure how much more expensive that will be. Sure, somethings do not have a price tag, like the comfort of not worrying about money for one week, after all it's just one week in the whole year, I think I deserve it! :cool:

9. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Make flyers and post them around your area for yard work and money saving during the vacation is tough job and i suggest to you that must use bus when ever you are during the vacation..

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL kasi, that wasn't exactly what I was saying, I don't intend to work during my vacation, but to relax for just a few days with my wife and kids. Considering I work the rest of the year I think we deserve a few days off. One thing we do to save money is to stay at a place where we don't need to use the car, so we do all our life on foot, pretty relaxing. :)