Local produce shops

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Lostvalleyguy • Apr 17, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have a full on grocery store in my neighbourhood but we have bakeries and produce stores as well as a well stocked drugstore which carries milk and a few other items. There are several produce places nearby and I shop there because they are convenient.

I find that the produce they carry is always low quality. It IS cheaper than the produce at the grocery store but one needs to use it almost immediately or it will go bad. I am used to produce places that have better produce than the grocery stores so these places are a big disappointment to me. In addition to the obviously old look of the produce, I wonder if the produce is originating from farms less concerned about the types of pesticides they use. I am wondering if this is a common thing for little shops to buy second rate produce or do the places near you take the time to bring in only quality merchandise?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose it depends on where you live.

For someone like me who lives in a small town in the country and in a place where agriculture is how most people earn their income, the nearest town, where I live always has a fresh supply of everything. If anybody was to try selling farm produce that is just about to go bad, that person would have to close down his/her business because there are so many options which include:

. . . going out to the farms and buying your stuff directly from the farmers.

3. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I also live in an area where fresh produce is readily available. I haven't always and it's really nice to have so much fresh produce available.

There is a farmer's market but most people sell from the side of the road or some parking lots. You can also drive down the roads and see signs in front of homes advertising what they are selling and how much it costs. Most people have gardens around here, so these people aren't making a lot of money. The prices are low, everyone can get fresh produce.

Most people don't know this, and the local food stamp office doesn't advertise it, but you can buy live plants and seeds (that produce edibles) with EBT (food stamps). It's a Fed mandate but the state has a final say. Walmart accepts EBT for food producing plants/seeds and herbs.

So, even the people who need the temporary help can grow some food to alleviate their situation and stretch their stamps.