What are your must have plants in your garden?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Lostvalleyguy • Apr 19, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I like to grow fruits and vegetables and so every year these are some plants I must grow. Tomatoes, basil, and hot peppers are always on my list. These are items that not only grow well in my area but also are foods I enjoy. Other plants such as cucumbers are often planted but not on my must have list.

Are there certain plants you feel you need to plant each year? Perhaps you need roses or some other flowers. Everyone has their own preferences - what are yours?

2. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Tomatoes, jalapenos, basil, rosemary and nasturtium are all plants on my "must have" list. The basil, rosemary and nasturtium also help with pest control! As an additional bonus, nasturtium flowers are edible. they have a slight peppery taste and look pretty in a salad.

3. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    I love strawberries! Mmmmm:) It's such a nice treat to be sunbathing and just pull of some strawberries to munch :p

I also love my home grown tomatoes too, sweet corn and lettuce leaves. I also love growing at least 1 pumpkin for halloween too :D

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a large garden so I always have room for a number of different vegetables. Flowers are big no for me.

Normally, I always stick to planting onions, spinach, pepper and carrots. I grow these because you can't find them fresh in the local market around here so to avoid buying them at exorbitant prices, I realized it's better to have your own stuff.

5. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    Must have plants for a food garden is strawberries (easy to grow and spreads fast), Radishes (Because they grow so fast, great for kids to keep their interest), then carrots and onions. But I'm a pretty picky eater.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Mint. It's easy to maintain, occupies little space and you'll have an inexpensive/healthy tea ingredient throughout the year. Next, I'll have to say beans. Beanstalks grow tall and you'll have to tie them to some poles but you can plant them near each other (little space needed). Around 15 beanstalks are enough to produce beans to last you all winter. Then there's the usual: onions, carrots and garlic.

p.s. - If you plant strawberries try to find the kind that bears fruit two times per year :)

#6Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  7. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite plants to grow are tomato plants, Iris and Lavender plants. I love growing all three of those. My daughter loves me growing Strawberry plants too. I love my garden and growing plants is something I have grown up with. My dad is a very popular gardener so I get it from him :D