Breakfast ideas?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Thejamal • Apr 19, 2014.

1. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Hey everyone. Lately, I've been struggling with finding a breakfast that will hold me over until lunch. Often, this will lead me to cave and buy something a coffee shop like a pastry of some sort. I've tried cereal, fruit, fruit smoothies, breakfast bars and nothing seems to do the trick.

What breakfasts have worked for you to keep you from getting too hungry?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always been told that protein should help you stay full for much longer. However if you are getting that protein with a ton of sugar, such as in a smoothie, that may not help you out as much.

For me, it's always been eggs that make me feel really full longer if I eat a large enough portion of them. I like to make big egg omelettes stuff with spinach and mushrooms and a little provolone cheese. I will have them with a 100 calorie whole wheat english muffin, and sometimes if I have the time, I will make a batch of home fries to go along with it all. Because I go easy on the cheese and use cooking spray, the whole thing is actually still low in fat.

It's not necessarily bad to have some mid meal snacks throughout the day, just as long as you are choosing healthy options. Some almonds or cashews would be good, for example. Or maybe pack some hummus and veggies along with your lunch that you can snack on at your desk.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    hmm, good advice. I've never really been a big egg eater, but that sounds like something good to try. I also love spinach, so that actually sounds fairly delicious.

And yea, the mid meal snacks are what kill me. I do pretty well with my meals, but I never really pack anything in addition to my lunch, so I'll just end up heading to the coffee shop across the street and buying a coffee and some sort of bagel with cream cheese or doughnut or something.

4. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I find oatmeal to be quite filling. I've heard you could add eggs to your oatmeal to balance out the carbs with some protein, but I don't know if it would taste right. So I usually add protein powder to mine. It adds just enough flavor without changing the consistency. It doesn't give it a proteiny taste or anything like that either. I also like to add a little fruit for sweetness.

5. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    Bacon and eggs does the trick for me. Also, I am from the south and I like buttered grits with bacon or sausage if I am craving a hot cereal. That's especially nice on a cold day. My mom swore by oatmeal as a filling breakfast but I can't stand the taste and texture of the stuff. When I am watching my calories I will eat a boiled egg mixed with light mayo on soft tortilla for breakfast and it comes in at 250 calories or so and has carbs which seem to fill me up for hours.

6. tcomfortbl

tcomfortblNew Member

Threads:
    I tend to like 1 egg and 1 egg white scrambled with turkey sausage cut up. I then add a little salsa over the top for a kick. I find that this keeps me the fullest the longest!