Is anyone still paying bills through the mail?

Discussion in Payment Methods started by Lostvalleyguy • Apr 19, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Recently Canada Post raised the rate for sending mail to $1.00 up 37% over the old price. This is a huge increase in the cost of anything even a stamp. I still have a couple of bills that were easier to pay through the mail, but I am in the process of changing everything over to pay electronically. For me, $1.00 was the breaking point for which I will not send a bill through the mail.

Do you still write cheques and mail them to pay your bills? Have you switched to online payments totally or have you set up automatic withdrawals from the bank?

2. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    No, I pay everything online now. My father stills pays using checks, but he's slowly been using online payment services more and more.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, I sure don't.

I know some businesses who still do, simply because some places will only still accept checks. For me personally, though, mailing through regular mail is a pain and I would much rather auto-pay through online setups instead.

4. LivetoErr

LivetoErrNew Member

Threads:
    I pay my bills online; however, $1 for a stamp is crazy. We don't even get Saturday mail delivery!

I don't think I've ordered checks in years. My mom had to order some the other day and the cheapest ones were $40, I guess, like the mail, people don't use them much any more so, they gouge the ones who do.

5. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Well most of my bills I pay online, but I live in the Republic of Ireland and I wouldn't say they are up-to-date with technology, lol. So some of my bills I still have to pay through the post :D

6. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    When it comes to the majority of my bills, I am able to pay them locally. It might cost me a little bit of gas but I know when they are getting their payments and I also don't have to pay for a stamp.

However, we do have one bill that doesn't have a local place to pay it and they don't have a way to pay online so when it comes to that particular bill, I have no choice but to pay it through the mail. I really wish that company would bring themselves up to date with the modern world.

7. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I haven't thought about this in like, forever! I don't remember the last time I sent a payment through the mail actually, everything is now automatic and online. I pay via online banking or paypal now. Its just a lot more convenient and easy and cost efficient. I had no idea that they raised it and I'm also in Canada! :O Well, I know that my grandma pays her rent via check ^.^'

8. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, I pay everything online, accept my water bill. It so convenient to pay all my bills online and not have to worry about paying fees to pay stations to pay my bills.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here there are lots of "paying stations" where you can pay your electricity, phone bill, credit card bill, etc all in the same place so that's where we pay our bills. Even you can pay any bill that you have at the mall, they have a concentrated "paying station" over there.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This may sound bad but I have never paid a bill in all of my entire life. I wouldn't even know where to start, which I suppose isn't too great when you are twenty-four lol. But if I were to pay bills, and I suspect that in the future when I do start to, I will be doing it online, provided that I have the best antivirus/malware/spyware software installed on the computer. The last thing I want is for someone to steal any of my details. Just like I am careful with my online banking. I haven't seen my mother post a bill in years. I think that her bills just automatically leave her account when they are due. So she doesn't have to mail anything.

11. allanrichard101

allanrichard101New Member

Threads:
    There must be a few people who still do this. That’s why the service is still operational. But majority of the people are using online payment resources as it is more convenient. Besides, online payments are a lot more secure today than it was a few years back. The smartest people are definitely the retail shoppers who use mobile payment platforms that allow them to shop, scan barcodes, bag the product and even make payment from their mobile phones. In fact, they complete their shopping faster as they can avoid long checkout queues completely. ScanOut mobile app is the most trusted.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, my dad does. My dad is 74 and refuses to pay for bills online, over the phone or in a shop. He still pays them with a check, and the problem is that checks in the UK are slowly being phased out. His reason for paying through the mail is "I've been doing it for 60 years and see no reason to change".

13. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    No, I don't pay my bills through the mail and I don't see any reason why I should do that anymore. I have worked in a telecommunication company and I've witnessed a lot of problem that comes from sending payments through the mail. Its either that the payment gets in way too late than expected, or the payment will be lost somewhere on its way to the company. I pay my bills online and it's quicker and safer.

14. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    When the USA made the forever stamp I thought that meant they were not increasing the cost of stamps. I learned later it just meant we can use them even when cost goes up. It is sad that ad a chip stamps were .25. Now they are like .40. Over a span of 30 years. However to hear they are a dollar in Canada is amazing. My husband does not trust all of that electronic transfer stuff, so all our bills are paid through postal services. But if stamps became a dollar, I am sure we would pay differently.

15. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I did up until recently. My house payment, car payment, and electric all got paid that way. When I went and opened my new account, though, they told me a out a program where they will take care of paying the bills for me. I just have to let than know when I'm ready to pay it.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I can't think of anything that I've paid by mail in a long time. I don't even order boxes of checks any more. I just have my bank print a few for me occasionally.

I pay some bills online, some over the phone (one of which is because their website never seems to work right and takes forever to credit my payment), and I pay some in person. Some of my utility companies are withing walking distance.

One utility company doesn't even have a site, and doesn't even accept debit/credit cards... crazy in this day and age, right? Hopefully, they will join this century soon. The lady at the counter told me that they will start accepting more payment methods in the near future.

17. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't sent a cheque for years. All my bills get paid over the phone or online with my debit card. The price of stamps has risen sharply in my country too, plus I prefer to go paperless wherever possible. I'd like to be able to pay my bills with PayPal and I'm sure it won't be too long before I can.