Do you take advantage of day after sales on holiday items?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by DDavies • Apr 20, 2014.

1. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely take advantage of the deep discounts the day after a holiday. Christmas is rough, crowded, but the stores aren't so bad after the other holidays.

It's a great time to stock up on things like Easter baskets, grass, ribbons, bows etc. I'm surprised by how many people don't take advantage of these sales. My kids were hip to this at a pretty young age. Once they learned some man didn't come down the chimney, they wanted gift cards so they could take advantage of clothes and toys that were inevitably marked down the day after due to excess inventory.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a big consumer and don't buy many things that I don't need. So, those sales are quite useless to me. But I can see how you can really save quite a bit if you plan ahead and organise your purchases across the year. My mother used to do that when I was a kid, buying things on special all year round and take them to our family and friends abroad during our annual visit. She always made everyone happy.

3. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I take advantage of these sales every year.

These sales have a altered the way i do my holiday shopping. I never give out expensive gifts on Christmas day anymore. I usually just hand out stocking stuffers to honor the tradition. However. i buy expensive gifts on the day after because of the amazing sales.

I am sure that no one will mind waiting an extra day for a gift. As long as they are getting what they want

4. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I will take advantage of an after holiday sale. It is only an advantage for me if I am picking up something that I would have had to buy anyhow. I don't mind grabbing smaller items that will last like Christmas cards or wrapping paper but I am reluctant to buy larger items as they will need to be stored for a year. As far as hitting the boxing day sales, I don't like the crowds so those type of discounts don't work for me unless I am buying online.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'll only really take advantage of a holiday sale if I'm looking specifically for a big ticket item. Like this past christmas, I took advantage of a christmas/news years sale to get a lowered price on the new car I bought. Other than buying an item like a car, Computer, or TV, it really isn't worth it to me to go shopping for less expensive items.

6. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Of course! We're heading out tomorrow to stock up on Easter eggs. I mean, they'll still be at a decently high price by tomorrow I expect, and it'll only last us a few days no matter how much we buy, but it's better than nothing as they say.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've found it more difficult to do so these days, it seems like many of the stores in my area put all the holiday stuff away pretty quickly after the holiday is over. Perhaps they are seeing too many people buying this stuff at dirt cheap prices, so they are holding on to it for the following year to sell it at full price instead.

I did luck out though and got a great deal on my very first Christmas tree when I first moved out on my own. I ended up paying only like $20 for a tree that was normally selling for over $150.

Something else you may want to keep an eye out for, that I had never thought of until someone else pointed it out to me, are holiday themed wines. A local wine shop near me sells their "christmas" wines for like a third of the price after the holiday. These are great to snap up for next year, and bring along with you to holiday parties.

8. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of people have an issue with spending money on something that they don't get instant gratification from. Buying Easter grass a week after Easter seems like a waste to many, but it's far from it. I'd rather have this stuff on hand for a fraction of the price than run out at the last minute and pay premium prices for it next year.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Exactly. We keep a couple large tubs in the garage that are specifically for future holidays. One year, we got a whole bunch of Easter egg coloring packs for $.01! Seriously, a penny.... They had so much and were just trying to get the stock cleared, but they can't give it away, so they marked it down to one cent. We picked up about 10 of them, along with a whole bunch of other stuff they marked down by 75-90%. That was several years ago and we're still dipping into the supply since we've also picked up new supplies since then, too.

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I remember as a kid my mom taking us to JC Penneys the day after Christmas to score on the big sales. It was always really crowded, but we ended up with some really good stuff. Because of the huge crowds, I'd rather not make the sales any more, but I do like to stock up on candy. My son has a cotton candy maker that you add crushed hard candy to flavor it. A few years back, my mom bought him boxes of flavored candy canes because they were so cheap. And they flavored the cotton candy quite nicely.

11. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    The only day after holiday sale I really take advantage of is Black Friday! Yes, the crowds are ridiculous and the checkout line can be a hassle but in the end, you're saving a ton. Especially when it comes to electronics. I've been going for the past 3 years and during Black Friday, I tend to get 80% of my Christmas shopping done.

12. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do hit up the day after holiday sales, but generally what I do is buy it and hold onto it until the next year and before the holiday (Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter etc.) I donate it to a shelter, school, church or some place like that. I feel good about giving and it doesn't break the bank. When I can afford to, I will buy the items closer to the holidays because I don't have a ton of room to store these items, but currently finances are a little tight.

13. springdaisies

springdaisiesNew Member

Threads:
    I try to, but some of our local shops have got wise to people doing this and instead f seeing it as a good way to move unneeded stock they seem to see it as us pulling the wool over their eyes. The day after Easter all the leftover eggs are mysteriously missing for instance. I wonder what they do with them!

So where possible, yes. Online I do. It's kind of interesting that here in the UK we're being offered US sales days like black Friday and cyber Monday. I'm not sure I understand. I hope the retailers aren't going to try to convince us to celebrate Thanksgiving soon. :) They could make Harvest Festival more of a 'thing' I suppose...

14. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I take advantage during the Christmas after-sales for sure! lol, they're pretty Christmas cards come down like %50+ off! That is pretty amazing and I just can't help myself with that. Other holidays though, not so much. I guess its because my family celebrates Chiristmas more than any of the other holidays, plus I'd say that it is the one holiday that has the most expensive merchandise associated with it! lol

15. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    One thing I do know is that Black Friday has gotten out of hand! Now we have brown Thursday, and Black Friday starts so early that it ruins the holiday for some people. We need to really examine our motives for runing out in the middle of a family day to shop for next year!

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, of course. The holiday items that I buy even after the holiday, I either use for next year or give it to someone else because the spirit of the holiday is still there and just doesn't easily go away after that particular day. It still stays long after like months. Sometimes, it is never really gone.

17. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah lol its fun i guess,When you have spent this sort of money on something there is nothing wrong with getting an appropriate outcome from it i mean the way these things are learning from them in the needed way is how it all can go so yeah this is pretty good and surely be improved.

18. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I think you may be onto something there, although depending on what the product is, especially chocolates, it might not keep to the next year. Those are the ones you should try and grab if you can! The day after the holiday, or at most five days after is when you'll get these deals I find.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the time I don't because I can't justify the a 50 mile journey to take advantage of a bargain. But on occasion when I have to drive any relative [who has been visiting] to the airport, then I may take a look around the stores and if I find something cheap which I could use or store somewhere to give to someone as a gift later, then I definitely do take advantage post-holiday deals.

20. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I love after holiday sales. I end up buying nice things for me and others. Plus a lot of it you can get cheaper now than next year when the holiday rolls around. I do this a lot with decorations and clothes. I won't lie I like buying after holiday candy, especially after Easter and Valentine's Day. But that is a guilty treat for me. If I can save money shopping the day after in a crowded store I'll do it.