Do you keep quick foods on hand in the kitchen?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Lostvalleyguy • Apr 21, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I am really not a big fan of frozen entrees that can be popped into the microwave and eaten within minutes. There are also many dried foods that just require adding boiling water. While these foods are convenient and some of them are even somewhat nutritious and portion controlled, I prefer not to have them in my home.

Sometimes, however, these foods can be a lifesaver. If I am away for a few weeks and return home late, having a dinner ready to go in the freezer is a good thing because anything that was fresh isn't anymore and these foods are better than fast food.

Do you keep some quick and easy foods in your home? If so, what types do you prefer to have on hand?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do keep quick and easy foods in my home, but I don't keep the premade convenience items like you mentioned.

What I mean is, I tend to make meals in advance and have them in the freezer, for example. So if I'm pulling something quick out of the freezer, it's still something I made at some point usually.

I also like just keeping things like spaghetti and sauce on hand. It only takes about 10 minutes to boil water and 10 to cook the pasta with very minimal effort.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to keep a lot of Lean Cuisine entrees and lunches in my freezer for the same reason. However this was when I lived near a Stouffer's factory, and they had an outlet store that would sell them dirt cheap - I'm talking less than $1 a piece for many of them, but most were at least under $2. You can't beat a week's worth of dinners for $14, plus the meals are balanced with veggies, low in sodium and fat, and portioned to keep your calories in check. These days I will just keep an eye out for when my grocery stores are running any "5 for $10" specials, and snatch them up.

Otherwise I love picking up a couple rotisserie chickens and making sandwiches with it for a few days.

I also like making really big batches of chili and freezing off portions for quick meals. Very filling, and it freezes perfectly. Plus you can serve it over a baked potato to make it even more filling for those days when you are really hungry.