Subscriptions for online games?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by AB9100 • Apr 21, 2014.

1. AB9100

AB9100Member

Threads:
    Do you think it is fair that video game developers are charging monthly subscriptions fee's to play their games online?

I do not thin that it is fair, because Microsoft, and Sony already charge you us to play games online. With PlayStation Network, and Xbox Live. I think allowing game developers to charge us too is double jeopardy.

Why do i have to pay two fees to play online? Not to mention that i have to pay my electric bill too. In my opinion this is unacceptable, and i will not be paying these fee's. Ever!

Do you think this is a fair practice?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know much about that but it sounds stupid. I remember when they had the advertisement for the Sims Online and nowadays they have games like Wizards. It's much cheaper at least in the long run to buy a disc. Is there something really that special about online games that they have to charge by the month?

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    What games with Xbox, Playstation etc are charging for online service that isn't covered through their online package? I've never heard of that practice before.

But other than that, online games like World of Warcraft charge the monthly subscription to maintain the game servers, new content, patch the game, etc. Generally, online subscriptions only happen with MMORPG games of that nature. And for those, I don't think there's an issue paying for as you actually see some benefit in the return

4. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    Nearly every game is free of charge besides the yearly subscription from Microsoft and Sony to play online. Though like your MMORPG example, that applies to FFXIV. They charge monthly on top of the online fee to play other games online. I completely agree with what you said. In fact, I have no problem with them charging. Though the reason I'm in the same boat as the topic creator is because there is NO game I'd be willing to pay monthly for. Never cared for MMO's on my console and if I did like any of them, I just wouldn't have the time to may use of my subscription.

So I see those benefits for paying, but it's not for me.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is fair depending on the price that they are charging you. If the price is fair then I do not see any problems with that. Remember that they have spend hours behind their desks trying to make sure that you have the fine product. Appreciating them by the subscription fee should not be any trouble at all.

6. Wolfhyrr

WolfhyrrNew Member

Threads:
    Well I hail from the old Lineage 2 subscription days. And i can tell you this, no MMO has ever filled me up as Lineage 2 ever did. Gonna try FFXIV now. Subscription titles tend to have more content and a far better community than most MMOs. I can pay for that.

ESO is the exception, subscription but far worse than any f2p game IMO.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well I don't really play that much online so I have no idea how things work there, but by the sound of it, I think it's a pretty stupid concept, I mean I already paid for the game, why the hell should I pay more to be able to take it online? Should the fee be included on my initial purchase of the game? Well I guess I'm lucky that I didn't get the chance to like playing online.