Do you lift free weights?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by AB91000 • Apr 21, 2014.

1. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Do you think free weights are still the best way to increase strength?

I ask this question because technology has increased so much over the years. There are so many new machines out there that are capable of helping you gain muscle. This was not the case i the past.

In the past the best to gain muscle, was to lift free weights. Now there are a lot of modern machines that offer different methods of resistance. Most new machines use your body weight as resistance, instead of actual weights.

Which do you think is better?

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    The modern machines are better at targeting a particular muscle group but do not have the added advantage of allowing the other muscles in your body to react to the weights. If you are doing barbell curls, for example, you need to adjust your stance and balance with your legs and torso in order to do the exercise properly. Doing the same activity on a machine will not involve other muscles so the workout will be less body intensive and more targeted. The machines do allow us to work on specific bits and pieces and in that respect, they do offer an advantage. Sometimes free weight exercises can be a hazard to other parts of the body if not done exactly right. The machines can eliminate this possibility and are therefore safer.

If you are looking for spot improvement, I would suggest a machine. If you are looking for all over strength improvement, the free weights are the way to go.