Do you use "FreeCycle" to find free recycled items?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by GrandmaHugme • May 7, 2012.

1. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    I am wondering if everyone is taking advantage of the email groups available on The FreeCycle Network that let you offer up items you no longer need -- or find free items that you possibly could use that are in your local area?

The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 5,035 groups with 8,917,299 members around the world. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by local volunteers (them's good people). Membership is free. Do you use another group?

Go to:

#1May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of them before. I'll check it out and see if there are any groups in our area. We live in a small town in a mountain area so I may not have a group here but hopefully somewhere close. I normally just donate old items to the Goodwill or St. Vincents. We recently moved so I donated most of what I had at that time and I really don't have a lot of extra stuff right at the moment. I'll keep this in mind for the future, though.

3. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend's sister swears by it! I also had an old roommate who used it. I imagine it's kind of like Craigslist but with more limited categories? I usually have a yard sale when I want to get rid of things. :)

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    They do not operate where I am. However, we do have quite a few grassroots operations going on related to recycling. Some of them are 6 years olds that just recycle quite assertively within their areas. It is quite amazing to observe. One such group actually landed on our local news the others day. I love seeing this kind of thing.

Thank you for the share. (-: I will spread the word for sure.

5. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    I have a cousin who swears by them. She has received furniture and lots of other goodies. It is a great way to keep things out of the dumps, and people can get things they need for free.

I tend to be more of a thrift store shopper, because there isn't a freecycle group where I live.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have belonged to group in the past. I don't move fast enough to get some of the good items posted. I have seen baby food to computers and furniture posted for free to the first person to get there.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am on the local Freecycle list. You have to move pretty fast to get the really good stuff. I have given away quite a few things too.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I got my TV on freecycle, but other than that, most of the things being given away in my neighborhood are things I either don't need or can't carry home, and I don't have anything of worth to give away, so I end up mostly spectating.

9. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of this I just checked it out and it is asking if I am interested to set up one in my area.. Well I may have to learn more about it before I plunge head on. Thanks for sharing this great link. It could be a good resource where it works.

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I am aware of freecycle, but I have never used it. I generally take the stuff I want to get rid of that I am not going to upcycle to the thrift store. Putting the stuff on freecycle would just be a little labor intensive for me because I would have to wait to get rid of the stuff and deal with people I don't know coming to my home to get whatever it was, and I am definitely not interested in that.

11. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Is this site popular? I have never heard of it before. But i did hear about Craigslist. Similar site?

12. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I have used free cycle before in the past and it's actually a pretty good site for whatever your looking for or whatever your wanting to get rid of there are a lot of people on there that will gladly help by giving away anything you might need that they don't need any where from pets to furniture to clothes and more it's a really good site.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really. It's like an email dedicated to giving away unwanted or needed items to those who might need them. I highly recommend joining Freecycle if it's available in your area.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be a member of freecycle in our area, but now the group does not exist anymore. It's ok, I didn't really get anything good out of it, the only time I was interested in taking something from freecycle was when someone was giving away free kittens that she found on the street. Unfortunately, the place that I should go to to claim the kitten is quite far from mine.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, Freecycle is a wonderful idea ! When I was moving, I sold everything that I could, and put the other items on Freecycle and gave them away. There is always someone that needs whatever it is that you no longer want, and they will rush to come and get it. On the other hand, if you desperately need something you just can't afford, many times, someone will have just what you need, and will give it to you.
    It is simple to join. Just look up Freecycle on google, and then sign up for the group nearest to where you live.

16. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    My coworker told me about freecycle, so I decided to check them out. My request for membership in my area was rejected. I was shocked, so I tried again with another email and got rejected again. They are so stingy, I guess my best bet is to stick with craigslist and thrift shopping. I do like the concept though. :confused:

17. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of it but I haven't had a chance to check it out, I had actually forgotten about it, thanks for the post it actually reminded me of this site. I will try and go check out before I get offline tonight, I have heard that you can find some really good things on there and you can post some things you are trying to get rid of on there too.