Too Many Superhero Movies?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Apr 23, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    There's been a huge influx of superhero movies in the past four years or so, and it doesn't seem to show signs of slowing down. I have a relatively neutral stance on the matter as I've always felt indifferent towards comic books aside from a chosen few titles, so I don't really feel the current trend to be neither too beneficial or too detrimental to the movie industry and its growing library.

However, I do have some aversion towards how boring and phoned in some of these movies turn out to be, and the makers seem to just do it for a quick paycheck and don't feel at all the need to put in any semblance of heart into their work. What's worse is if I get conned into paying and seeing these bland movies in theaters only to come out disappointed and feeling disgusted that I allowed myself to sit through what I would only label as a con job. Anyway, that said, I personally still don't mind that many of these superhero movies are coming out lately, and I even welcome it, because I think boring and dud movies tend to be made with any genre, and at least with superhero movies, I am watching a beloved character with cool effects.

How about you guys, do you think the superhero genre is way overplayed at this point, or can you still not get enough of it?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, and what's worse is they are all the same! How many times do people need to see the same thing over and over again? It's the same camera shots, the same scenes of buildings blowing up, fast paced choppy editing, loud explosion noises, and overly dramatic CGI. I read that they have a whole lineup of more superhero films planned for like the next 10 years or so.

I wish just once, these studios would stop it with these several hundred million dollar over the top super hero movies, and instead invest all that money in independent smaller more modest films. Doesn't that seem like it would result in better odds and the likelihood that they might score a few winners? The fact that they are so adamant about putting all their eggs in one basket with these superhero movies make me the viewer feel like they just consider me a helpless idiot who will throw money at each and every one of these films. As if they found their "magic formula" and will never ever stray from it.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    To be fair, I do understand the decision of these big studios to bank on known and marketable titles rather than independent or unknown ones, since it's just the nature of any business to gravitate towards decisions that necessitate the least amount of risk. Most of these studios probably have had to deal with millions of dollars in losses due to their previous risks with unknown titles, and these moves have also probably contributed to a lot of past movie studios' downfalls, so I'd guess this current comic book movie formula with an already built in audience must feel like a godsend to them. However, like in my original post, I do still agree that they should at least make more of an effort to make each somewhat unique or interesting. I was especially disappointed with the recent Wolverine movie myself, as that was just filled with too much talking and nonsensical or silly plot devices.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unlike most people I've never been a fan of super-hero movie. The only one I did watch was X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It was relatively well-received but nothing about it impressed me, something which further strengthened my resolve not to watch super-hero movies.

p.s Hollywood may cling to making movies that they are sure has a waiting, ready market but I don't how long that will last. Eventually, they'll get done with re-making old films, adapting comic book stories for the screen and popular books when fans get fed up.

#4Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What's wrong with superhero movies? Will you please count how many superhero movies came out this year and last year and how many horror movies came out and drama movies and comedy movies? I think that if you will compare superhero movies to other movie genres, you'll see that Superhero movies are in the minority. It's just that superhero movies commonly are big budget flicks so there's a lot of advertising involved. Unlike other movie genres which have very little budget thus resulting to very little advertising. Anyways, how many times have you gone to the theaters and watch a movie anyway?

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I personally think the Avengers was done just right in terms of balancing out the characters. They downplayed minor characters to just the right amount of screen time and gave more prominence to others equally as the movie progressed. Most of my complaints regarding this movie doesn't involve the characters, but to honest, I'd probably almost never complain about too many characters in a movie as long as it's still done with some semblance of competence and restraint. I even liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine and that probably had double the amount of superheroes than Avengers had. The only thing I really dislike about these superhero movies is when they make the plot boring and don't utilize the superhero enough such as in The Dark Knight Rises and Iron Man 3.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I like superhero movies, as long as the superhero is interesting, I can watch through Superman, Spiderman, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, guys like that.
    But if they make more movies like Daredevil or Green Lantern then that really tests my patience :)

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though superhero movies are not my taste, I don't feel like there are too many in general. I do however think that maybe there are too many Superman movies. I get that he's one of the most popular but they seem like they'd be all the same.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, ever since The Avengers boomed out super hero movies just come out blasting. I mean it's fine if the movies are great but by God some of them are just awfully boring and very generic to say the least, I mean the only good super hero movie I've watched lately was Nolan's take on Batman.

10. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that there are not enough super hero movies. I would also say that there is a lack in creativity. People are failing to come up with some great ideas and how to create new heroes and so we have had to use and abuse the same ones over and over. So it feels as though everything is over the top yet it is as it should be. I would love to see some amazing new heroes birthed. I mean who does not love a good hero.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, way too many superhero movies! While I've never been a fan of superhero movies to begin with, I've been disliking them more and more every time a new one comes out. I don't understand why they're always such a huge hit when they have no content and their story lines are so poor... people just watch them for the special effects, but that got old already!!

12. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    No, it isn't an overplayed genre. Superhero films come out nearly every summer. Most of the times they are massive hits and other times they are a financial lost for movie studios. Either way the general public is never tired of seeing these films. As long as filmmakers find a way to tell the stories in a creative manner to generate public interest, we will continue to see this genre thrive each year. It's all about money and studios will stick with a format that has worked consistently for a quite some time.

13. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Ehhh...what?

Would you say that there are too many romantic comedies coming out? Too many gangster films? Perhaps too many films about ghosts and hauntings?

The superhero films are, for the most part, part of the action genre, with slight forays into comedy, and that's it. However with Guardians of the Galaxy coming out...this month I think? And Ant-Man in the works, with Doctor Strange heavily rumoured, it looks like we're starting to break away from the action only superhero movie, and getting into comedy-Guardians-the heist genre-Ant-Man-and...mystical strangeness?-Doctor Strange-so no, I don't think there's too many. Just perhaps too many within the one genre.

14. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I am getting sick of them. I loved Batman with Christian Bale, but Batman with Ben Aflleck this soon. I mean what could be the big difference between these two movies. I watched The Amazing Siderman, it was terrible. I didn't like the old movie with Spiderman, this one is even worse.

15. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I won't lie, I am tired of staring at Superhero posters everywhere I go. Superheroes have always been popular, but they are making a comeback. They saw that when redid a few of them they did well. Now they want to do them all. It is just a phase and will go out soon. Remember when all there was out was horror movies, specifically paranormal ones? It is the same thing really. People will eventually get tired of super heroes and it will move on for about a decade and then come back. It is a cycle.

16. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    I don't mind there being lots of super hero movies. There were so many bad ones for so long that I'm happy to see some good ones, even if some bad ones still make it through.

17. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    Well, I don't mind super hero movies. The thing I don't like about them is that the directors/producers of the movies tend to veer away from the original story. I hate when that happens. The effect on that is that people who have watched the films but didn't read the comics would be greatly misinformed. They would even debate that what they know is the truth! I hate it when that happens. haha!

18. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm so fed up with all these superhero movies to be honest. I don't know why the movie makers can't be a little creative and give us something new to see. They're overusing the superhero themes in my opinion. I used to watch them but then i just got sick of it because it seems to be a neverending thing. Like seriously, i think Superheroes have ran it's course, it's time to move on.

19. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    All these super-hero movies, are a modern rendition of bygone mythological characters set into a cinematic format only. Superman is Zeus or Deus, Flash is Hermes or Mercury, Aquaman is Poseidon or Neptune, Thor is Thor, Odin is Odin, Loki is Loki, Batman literally meant "officer's servant" and is Hades, Spiderman represents the philosophy of the interconnection of reality or naturality [hence the reason his unwillingness to stop the robber led to his uncle's death, so on and so forth], Wonder Woman is a mixed creation of Greecian Gods, Goddesses, and Hercules strength, Iron Man is probably a throwback to Hephaestus, Captain America represents the U.S. Government and his shield is possibly a allusion to Shield of Achilles, and the X-men characters represent demi-gods - hence the reason why all of their powers are genetically [as in born with qualities like that of the gods and goddesses] enhanced forms and expressions of human abilities.

Comic books and the movies made from them, are a retelling of mythology and legends from around the world, which have been passed down for many generations now and movies are but a technological way of doing this.

#19Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  20. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's not fair to just bunch up all superhero movies together into one big pile. They are all different in the way that every superhero has a unique back-story that fuels his motivation and that makes the movies that are well done very interesting to me.
    Something I'm very glad about is the fact that little kids nowadays have favorite characters from back in my childhood. I love Wolverine and seeing little kids going crazy over him brings a smile to my face. Another superhero I like a lot that will re-surface is The Flash, it's gonna be cool seeing kids running around imitating him and his speed.