Buying From Companies With Ideals That Contradict Yours

Discussion in Misc & Others started by DrRipley • Apr 23, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Would you ever support a company you feel as though contradicts the set of ethics and morals you stand for if you really liked their product? For example, I remember a few years back, there was a debacle with Chick-Fil-A wherein the owner made his opposition to homosexuality known to the public, which then sparked a debate on whether or not gays should still eat there knowing that the owner is opposed to their lifestyle.

I myself once thought that I could just separate the maker from his product, but I soon realized that paying the company indirectly supports the opposing cause to my own by giving the business financial support which then can be used for other organizations that endorse said views that contradict my own. In short, I now realize that I use my money to vote everyday, and I really should put in more effort to know where those votes go.

How about you guys, do you think it is wise to put in more research in which companies gain our financial support, or is it all the same to you? Would you ever boycott a brand/company if the owner spoke out on their views and it turned out to contradict your own, even if you loved their product very much?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would boycott a company just because of their morals or lack of. I just care about whether they are good enough to me as a customer. Sometimes I don't even care about customer service (like I am with Best Buy). It just depends on the product when it comes to customer service.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    When other options are around I would go elsewhere. In the case of Chick-Fil-A, we haven't any around but I would opt for another place as it isn't the only outlet of its type. Sometimes an infraction is minor or it only pertains to a single outlet in which case I will chose a different store. There is also a difference between a personal ethical issue like hunting and a broader one like hating a group of people and when it comes to a boycott, the size of the issue matters.

I would not go as far as to do research on each and every store but if it showed a clear ethical contradiction and it was big enough that I knew about it without looking for problems, I would steer away.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I recently moved to an area that has two of those types of companies. Chick-fil-A is one but the other is Walmart> I don't eat much fast food but they not only smell great but they are close to other retailers I frequent. Though the service is great, I limit my time there since I identify as a hetero who believes in gay rights.

Walmart Express is different from most of the typical stores. The employees seem happy and the stores are clean and organized.

5. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    It depends what their ethical and moral issues are compared to mine. If it's just some Joe Schmoe who is against something I believe in, then whatever. I don't really care about that. However, if it's a company that has a leader who actively supports something that goes against my ethical and moral standards, then I would make it a deal not to do business with them.

To clarify: people can believe whatever they want. I don't have a problem with that on most levels. However, if those people actively campaign and/or donate/fund a cause that goes against my ethical and moral issues, then that is a problem for me.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely will draw a line if at the core, the ideals of some company contradict mine. For example, I buy lots and lots of movies because I like movies but I will never buy any movie that James Cameron was directly or indirectly involved in producing. Why? Because I hate some of the things he stands for.

I believe this goes for any other products. If the company even as much as, hints at supporting something I hate, then I definitely will never buy anything they make.

7. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    The whole Chick-Fil-A debacle put a really bad taste in my mouth for the company. I had never even been there before, but was quite curious to try their food because it sounded good. And the fact that I know people who went there that day to support only added fire to the fuel. I have gay family members and would feel like a hypocrite if I were to patronize such a company.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I mean, if you looked hard enough, I'm sure you could find something with EVERY company that contradicts your ethical and moral ideals. Just a reality of big business and corporate America.

I look for the best deal and/or service I can find on the good I'm looking for. I recently bought a car and spent a extra hundred dollars because I felt the service I received was better and thus, future service for my car would be better. I didn't ask the car lots ideals about moral or ethical issues; just how would they take care of me as a customer?

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I would never support a company that offends me in any way. They are not the only game in town. If I have to spend money, I like to give to those who are fairly liberal, open-minded and don't exploit others. I also make a big effort to not support corporations wherever possible. I know it's nearly impossible these days, but it can be done. There are still alternatives.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    This is so true and I don't think many people realize this. The only reason we even hear about things like Chick-Fil-A is because they made the news and it became a huge controversy that spread like wildfire. There are plenty of other companies that fall into the same type of category, though.

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah. People have to remember that everyone has different morals so a company could easily contradict. Just because you are buying from a company with different morals than yours does not automatically mean that you are supporting their ideals. Companies only exist to serve a great product or service.

12. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Meh, this isn't important to me. If we're talking about big chain corporations, then there is ALWAYS going to be some person or some aspect of the company that contradicts your ideals. It's silly to think that the Chik-Fil-A instance is one-of-a-kind. If I want to buy something, I buy it. Simple.

13. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I didn't want to eat at KFC for a long time because they were noted for keeping chickens in these really tight cages. However, it was a sacrifice cause you can't deny they don't have tasty food and also bargain food. For instance, a buffet can easily fill you up and so can the 5 dollar deals.

@DrRipley@DrRipley However, they could still work there as employees. There wasn't any actual discrimination - only an opinion.

#13May 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017