Staying at one location or many?

Discussion in Travel started by Lostvalleyguy • Apr 23, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    When some people take a vacation, they like to move around from place to place. Essentially they do a bit of a road trip stopping for a couple of days at each location before moving to the next. Others prefer to set themselves down for the entire trip and relax at one place. Some vacation types and destinations are better suited to one type of vacationer than the other. While method of travel may come into play, it is more about the tourist than the tour.

Are you one to take a couple of weeks off and plant yourself down at a resort? Are you one to move around taking in a variety of different scenery and destinations? Are you a bit of both sometimes preferring to lie on the beach and other times getting out and exploring?

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    If money is not an issue I would definitely move around as much as I can. To totally enjoy a specific travel destination, one must also take time to immerse in the both the urban and the traditional culture. This requires activities beyond the comforts of a package tour and hotel accommodations. I would love to sit in a cafe as well as mingle with the locals in the marketplace. I love to tour unhurriedly and experience life as the locals do (to a certain extent).

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually would prefer to visit more than one place on my next vacation, but I wouldn't stay just a couple of days in each place. I feel like a couple of days is not nearly enough to know a city. I would prefer to visit around 3 or 4 cities in the course of a month, which would give me around 8-10 days in each one of them. That to me is ideal, as you are able to know and visit more places, but you stay for long enough to actually get to know the place.

4. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I've done both. For example, we did a trip to Maine but were sure to stop in Boston, Connecticut, Maryland, etc.

I also like vacations that are very relaxed and we stay in one place and mostly just 'chill'

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Staying at one place has never been my dream vacation. Maybe in those days when my eye sight and insatiable desire for adventure is quenched, I'll consider staying at a resort for the whole of my vacation but right now, with my love for photographing growing by the day, I most obviously, would have to travel around and make sure I've taken as many photographs as I could of all the attractions in the locality.

#5Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  6. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    It depend to your budget and you planning that how your plan is going on and vacation is one of the best time to sat at any place in long term and enjoy the life..

7. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I am totally agree with the kasi! It depends on your budget and your plan. I always never stick to any specific place but I always try to explore the more and more region in one day. I am a huge fan of travelling and always get prepared for it. Right now I am enjoying volcano tours honolulu. These volcanoes are terrific. No one can go there in noon because the sunshine and heat of these active volcanoes are too much. It is harmful for all human beings.

8. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    Most of my vacations I go to the mountainside where I have a nice wooden two story house with a balcony, attic, nice rooms all around the house, tv's on both floors and its pretty much awesome to just stay there but from there I usually travel with my family to other interesting places around the country since its in the heart of the wilderness and historical places of our country. All the castles and attractions from various fortress cities in the mountains are around there. It is very nice. And so we stay at the house but go around visiting places as well for the duration of our stay.

9. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I drive everyone who vacations with me crazy. I need to keep moving and see as much as possible. I get a bus or trolley pass for the city I'm in and start checking off the Tripadvisor list. We end up collapsing at night in a cheap hotel. Why pay more when we're not even going to be awake to see it, right?

10. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    I agree with that idea as well. Its great to keep moving and see as many places as you can. For me, vacations have to be fast paced and adventurous.

11. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Right, Crafts and Looms. I told my partner during the last trip to "take lots of video so you can enjoy your vacation after you get home." The memory of how sleepy you are and how much your legs hurt from walking fades, but you always remember the exciting stuff you see. We have pools here in town. Even during the winter, the parks and recreation department has pools you can swim in for $3 per visit. These are great for weekends. I also refuse to schedule my vacation around sit-down restaurants, and I love to eat! But, when dealing with reservations, and getting ready for dinner, it steals valuable time. I like to choose the nearest well-rated mom and pop joint nearby. There are extra points for ethnic foods we've never tried. For example, we had the best food at an Afghan restaurant near DC. The food was served on paper plates and we ate at a plastic table, but portions were generous, the seasoning was amazing, and it seemed healthy