Apple Devices Are Not Overrated

Discussion in Product Reviews started by DrRipley • Apr 23, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've only recently gotten to try an iPad, and I have to say that I am more than just satisfied with it. I always read discussions online about Apple products being overpriced and overrated, but now that I've gotten to try one of their flagship devices, I have to say I disagree. After having used an iPad for a while now, I'd say I'm thoroughly impressed with every little detail they put in and I also find it very fascinating that even my 3 year old niece can use it effortlessly almost without help from us adults, and I think that's very noteworthy in terms of the amount of thought that went into these products.

To be honest, however, I've always been kind of been somewhat of an Apple fan to a certain extent, because I've been using an old Macbook laptop for a number of years now, but it's never slowed down on me like what happens with my other Windows laptops, especially after having installed a good number of programs. My very ancient Macbook, however, still runs like a champ despite many programs getting installed and uninstalled and even very heavy usage daily because I use it mostly for work and I usually keep it on and running for the most part of the day and I even rarely shut it off completely due to the sleep feature being very convenient - again, unlike with most Windows laptops, especially ones in the same generation as this particular Macbook.

I'm not at all a rich person, though, so of course, I would still consider these to be a bit overpriced and would still rather they be cheaper, but still, I think they are very much worth it and don't at all deserve the hate they gets from non-fans just because it's expensive. I know I'd probably charge more for my services if I knew I was the best at it, because that's just practical in a capitalistic system.

My only complaint with Apple products is that they are very costly to get fixed, but even then, it's not like Windows laptops are that much cheaper to get fixed anyway, as I've never really got any of my old laptops repaired due to the parts being expensive enough to make me just want to buy a new laptop altogether.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on my first extensive experiences with Apple products. Feel free to comment on whether you agree or disagree with some of my comments.

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apple products have a good quality, I don't question that, but their prices are the highest too, so it's a case to say you need to pay for quality. The fact is I don't see many (if any) Apple users unhappy, so that shows the quality of their products, just no everyone can afford them.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I've never had a problem with IDevices except for the time that I apparently broke my Ipod from slightly sticky hands. However, I'm sure that's easily the case with any touch screen device. I'm just never sure about their computers. I've always heard that they're not really worth the price because they are not necessarily safer or last longer than the Windows. In fact some people have said they are easy to get viruses on and are more difficult to use. Maybe you have had a good experience with yours but I can see how what they said would make sense. I would imagine because a lot of people don't have Apple computers they don't have as much software.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Apple's profit margins on their iPads range from 37% for their entry level models, to 45% for the models with more memory. In comparison, the profit margins on a Google Nexus tablet are at the very least, below 20% and it's quite possible they are actually losing money on the devices themselves (and Google may be relying on their other services and advertising models for revenue instead).

So when you are buying Apple products, you are literally not getting your money's worth, you are simply getting an already expensive piece of hardware marked up at an even more exorbitant price. If an iPad costs Apple about $300 to make and they sell it for $500-$600 depending on which model you buy and it costs Google to $150 to make their tablet which sells for $200, you are still getting more bang for your buck with Google. It's not a fair comparison to pit $150 worth of hardware against $300 worth of hardware and make an argument that Apple build better products. A fairer comparison would be to put a higher end Android tablet which also costs about $300 to make up against an Apple model with the same amount of memory in it. Android's integration with Google's myraid of services alone puts it ahead of an iPad, but when you combine that with beefed up hardware that is comparable to whats in the iPads, then that gives it the overall edge.

Would you rather buy an iPad for $600 or an Android tablet with the same specs and memory for $400? All you are paying for with that extra $200 is just Apple's "branding".

The point is, you have far more choice in price range and specs when shopping for Android based tablets. For some people, a $200 tablet is perfectly fine, with Apple, you only have the choice between an expensive model and an even more expensive model.

In addition to marking up it's devices so much, Apple charges all sorts of additional fees to it's sellers, such as Verizon and Sprint, that Google and Microsoft don't do. This not only cuts into their own profit margins, but it forces the carriers to raise their rates across the board to make up the difference. They make less money off of iPhones but are forced to carry them due to the demand for Apple's brand. Long story short, even us non-iPhone users are picking up the tab for iPhone users, all because of Apple's own greed.

5. stardisgate

stardisgateNew Member

Threads:
    I have had a few apple products and let me just say that you get more bang for your buck. Yeah, they are expensive, but they last longer. I miss my iPad mini. I also used to work for the applecare Tech support and learned a lot about different products. I loved that I dropped my iPhone maybe 100 times and it never broke. My samsung, I dropped a few times and it cracked. Iphones are made a little sturdier than other phones and products.

6. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    When I first bought the iPad 3 (when it first came out), I was impressed to the point I felt like it was money well spent. It was super fast and met all of my needs. For the $800 spent at the time, it was worth it. I would have spent the same on a computer either way.

People talk about these prices, but what do you expect? Years ago only the super rich would have items like these. And yes, this type of technology has been around for longer then you think.

7. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    I like Apple devices as well. I've had a lot of luck with the iphone, iPad and a macbook pro or two in my life. I have also used these devices in a work setting and have enjoyed not having to deal with broken hardware as much as other types of devices. There are a lot of things to be said about the price of the Apple devices. They are a little bit more than other systems, but they really are worth their while.

8. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    I've actually only owned one Apple product in my life and though I like it, I have to say that it isn't my favorite. I know that it is dependable but being as how I've been an IBM compatible person all my life, there is a learning curve to them that I'm really not all that comfortable with.

That said, I don't think that they are overrated, I just don't know that they are necessarily the right products for everyone.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've always though apple devices are pretty much always the coolest products on the market. The issue for me is that you always have to pay more for that level of innovation. Perhaps if I was a little more financially secure, then I would be all over Apple products.

It just depends if you're willing to shell out extra money to be an Apple user.

10. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Now a days, apple is not even the most expensive. Samsung is.

Apple is the better way to go as all of these people who talk good about Samsung are dead wrong. Ive used the Note 3 and its not that great. Its too big and the software isnt "way better" as I hear people say.

I prefer apple products.

11. dailypayments

dailypaymentsNew Member

Threads:
    Apple devices are great, is just depends on what your preference is. The Apple devices have a different operating system, than other devices. This is not a bad thing if you like that operating system. Apple devices offer great features that are not found anywhere else.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Apple products are not overrated to say the least, they're very high quality and well made. But I think they're a bit overpriced. Yes, the quality of they're product is top notch but I don't think the price reciprocates it that well. I once bought an iPod Shuffle for $50, sure the price is very cheap but the thing is you can buy a similar product with more features for just $25. Apple products are great there's no doubt about that, just too overpriced.

13. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    Apple prices are very nice, yes, but I just don't think that they are worth what we pay for them (for some things). I think that the iPhone and iPod are both very nice for their price and wouldn't mind paying for them. But, I feel that their laptop and tablet lines are overpriced. I'm really talking about how much power you get for the price point. Moreover, I really can't get behind how Apple keeps software and development closed. Plus, as someone who plays videogames, developers usually only support Apple after working on PC first. There are plenty of people that Apple computers are suited for, but I'm just not one of them.

14. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Apple product in the past (Mac laptop) and I really liked it but nowadays I use different brand for all my devices.

I would buy product from them over and over again but the prices are just too high for me. I always tell myself that even if I buy something from a less popular brand but if I look after them very well then they will last for a very long time.

15. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Apple products are very overly priced but are good products. I can't live without my iPhone. My phone is the easiest ever to navigate plus it offers a ton of advancements in the App Store. I don't have a complaint on my end.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well there is a saying that "you get what you pay for", so of course the quality of Apple products would always be excellent. But other brands offer the same features too at much lower prices, so it's like you're paying for the brand as well, like Louis Vuitton for example, of course it's gonna be of good quality, but it's a designer bag, so it's gonna be overpriced. That's how I see Apple products. They're the designer brands in the electronics industry.

17. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    I have used many Apple products in the past because my father is a huge Apple geek and we have many different Apple devices. My opinion is that their quality is pretty good, but it is still too high to justify their price. However, I am pretty satisfied with all of the products I've used, from iPhones, iPads and Mac desktops. My only complaint is that it is difficult and expensive to upgrade the hardware relative to a PC. Apple also has really good customer support.

18. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I agree with you that Apple makes really good quality devices (in other words not overrated), but I also agree with others in this topic, who said that their devices are overpriced.

Just an example - in the Europe I can get a good Android smartphone and an Android tablet for the price of one iPhone 5S. Believe me, I could get way more work (or entertainment) done with those two than I would do with just a single iPhone.

19. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    It all comes down to preference. Apple is like Nike. They are a name brand. Some people want to be associated with the bigger name brand.

I'm one of those people. (sort of)
    It's not the name that has me buying their products, it's the fact that I never had problems with the iPhone since I first bought one long ago. So I see no reason for me to switch now. It's a great product and I cant complain about the price.

20. gi_joy

gi_joyNew Member

Threads:
    I used to be a HUGE Apple hater. I've always prided myself on the PCs I owned and how I didn't jump on the bandwagon when all of my college friends bought Macs and iPhones. However, I've reached my tolerance level with PCs during my Junior year spring semester finals period when both my PCs decided to crash the night before a paper was due. I was livid at the time, and I felt I had no other choice but to try out a Macbook. Thankfully, I had leftover scholarship money to purchase a Macbook Pro at the local Apple Store. I was annoyed at first at how different the configuration was with the Mac, as I had been using PC/Windows all my life. However, I was very impressed with the screen resolution quality, and how easy and quick it was to scroll through everything, be it my word processor, surfing the internet, or just switching windows on the desktop. Despite having to get used to the way the Mac was set up, I was happy with how fast and reliable my macbook was for me. I've had my Mac for almost 3 years and it still runs as fast as when I first purchased it. There were times when the hard drive crashed and I thought I'd have to bring it into the shop and pay astronomic prices to repair. However, with some quick google searches, I managed to troubleshoot my Mac on my own and my Macbook fixed itself! I have never kept a PC for longer than a year and a half before it either was eaten up by a virus or its processor slowed down to a crawl. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm happy to own an Apple product. Its reliability, user-friendliness, and quality make my Macbook Pro well worth the price I paid.