Conventional medicines

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Apr 23, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just this week I was cleaning my drugs cabinet at my place and I had to throw away quite a few boxes and jars of medicines with expired dates. How do you guys feel this, these expiration dates are too short or they just sell us more than what we need?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say anything about the expiration dates, drugs are too complex to be properly understood by mere mortals like us. About selling us more than we need, I don't think they do this. Apart from vitamins that come in big boxes, all other pills I can buy in the exact quantity I need (around here at least).

Sure, drugs are expensive and most times it seems silly to throw them away, but it's a thing that must be done since expired drugs can break more than fix.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the drug as to whether it goes bad when it expires. Some drugs like aspirin will become less effective with age but won't go bad. Other drugs can become dangerous when they are older and should be disposed of. If you don't know that the drug is safe, toss it out. If it an over-the-counter drug, just buy smaller quantities more frequently to keep them fresh and in stock.

I will point out that it is recommended that some medications be flushed down the toilet rather than tossed out as they can be harmful if eaten by children or animals. You should always check the disposal instructions for any medication you are tossing as you don't want to unintentionally injure someone or something.

4. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, they now recommend that you take them to a pharmacist because if they are flushed, they can leech into groundwater (especially in places with older water systems). If the local pharmacy does not accept them, they will know who does. It's usually your city department that handles hazardous waste.

And yes, the chemical compounds break down and change as medications age. Some can become toxic while others just become less effective.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do that too, I take the old medicines to the pharmacists, no way I would put them in the trash, I don't want strange animals growing on drugs in the sewers. Scary to know that some compounds become toxic!