Your car alarm: Nobody is listening.

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Lostvalleyguy • Apr 23, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Years ago when car alarms were new, they would draw attention if they went off. There are plenty of options out there to protect your vehicle and car alarms are now probably the most useless. More often than not in my area a car alarm constantly going off at night is going to get you ticketed or towed rather than saving you from a stolen car. The reaction to car alarms is insignificant nowadays. Most people might glace at the car making all the noise but they really aren't paying attention. Security that immobilized a vehicle is a far better way to protect your investment than an alarm.

When a car alarm is ringing, do you pay attention?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    The only time I pay attention is when it goes on long enough that it annoys the crap out of me!

I know that sounds horrible, but really, 99% of the time that an alarm is going off, it's because someone pushed the wrong button.

I might pay attention if it were my OWN alarm going off and I was no where near my keys, but that's about it.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Around here we have plenty of parking space, and most drivers park in front of the apartment, so alarms are a good way to notice the owner that something is happening. Still, they start often and are annoying as hell! And while I do ignore them, I still think they are a good investment, even if you buy a cheap, less sensitive alarm. From time to time, on weekends, groups of drunk teenagers kick the cars in the parking lot and knowing when this happens, via alarm noise, helps prevent damages.

4. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    NO, no one does!!! It's just so annoying. What is REALLY STUPID is every morning when I go to the Post Office, this people that get out of their cars, hit their alarm button, (annoying) then go get their mail out of the PO BOX, and 30 seconds later are back into their car!! WHY - What's the point!!!

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can literally see your car from inside the Post Office, for those 30 seconds that you are into it!!

5. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean. Whenever I hear one of those pesky alarms going off, all I can think about is making it stop. Have we all grown so accustomed to hearing them, that we've come to take it for granted that it's most likely a false alarm and not a break in? Maybe it is time to find a more effective means to protect our belongings.

#5Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I honeslty don't think that if someone did try to break into my car and set the alarm off anything wouldn be done about it. Like others have said, I once used to go out to see what was happening upon hearing a car alarm but these days I simply ignore it, because they are so frequent. The chance of an alarm being due to an attempted break in rather than a false alarm is very low these days it seems.

7. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it is sure. A lot of people have stopped paying attention to alarms. I think it's because they hear them way too often and usually there is not a crime attach to an alarm ring. One thing I have experienced that was really surprising was when I encountered a car that had an alarm that was extremely loud that you could not ignore. You could literally hear this a loan from a mile away. That definitely got attention and if the thief was trying to get into that car the owner would definitely know something was happening and would be able to do something about that. At this present time I would say and immobilizes probably the best thing that you could have to make your car lot more safer.

8. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    I do not pay attention to the car alarms that go off in my neighborhood unless they keep going off for five or more minutes. By then I'm so hopping mad I'll go see what is going on ready to tell the fool who owns the car off. I would much prefer a silent GPS system that will shut the car off and announce its location if the owner reports it stolen.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree, they don't have as much purpose nowadays than they did back then, but I'm not sure they were ever that effective in the first place. However, I still think it's much more helpful to have it than not, since at least robbers would have an extra thing to worry about and even if no one notices the alarm then at least you'd still have a good chance of the robber being caught in the act with a glance from a stranger, whereas had there not been a car alarm, the crime would definitely have gone much more smoothly and unnoticed.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel the same as Jessi. I really don't pay any attention to car alarms beyond the annoyance factor. Just about anything can set them off even small tremors (earthquakes) or strong winds. I never had a car alarm and never will.