Books or Ebooks?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by 003 • Apr 24, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ebooks are indeed more convenient. You can have multiple of them without carrying a lot and with ease. All you would be needing is a single device that will let you read those ebooks. The problem with this is it is harder to multitask reading, to go over one book and to another, and to another simultaneously. Vandalizing your own book is even harder. Most platforms allow this, but in no easy and no convenient way. Unlike with the books in which manipulation and making it your own is easier. So I think that if reading is the only thing which is considered, then ebooks are enough. But if thorough study with the reading material is asked, I think books are still the best.

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    For the purpose of my classes, I love saving money on Kindle textbooks. However, I hate that hard copies of books and magazines are becoming more expensive. I keep my Rolling Stone mags from the 1980s and 1990s. I also have many mags that are no longer in publication like HUES.

I also like to get small business books from Kindle even though some are unoriginal. When I can get these for free, I take advantage.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In fact that's the one good thing about ebooks. There are so many free ones that unless it's an educational book like textbooks, some "how to" books or new fiction books, there'd hardly be a reason to set aside some money for buying books because the free ones are so many that it would take you an entire life-time to exhaust them. Because of that, I'll always prefer ebooks.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think ebooks are a lot more convenient, especially for when going on trips. However, I still prefer traditional books, because I like to feel the paper in my hands as I'm reading and I just like the overall experience of reading an actual book. Also, I prefer it for when reading in bed while making myself sleepy, because having to deal with a tablet when you do get sleepy is a bit more complicated than just putting aside a book which you can even technically just throw on the floor or have it just rest on your stomach for when you fall asleep prematurely. If that happened with a tablet then you'd risk it falling on the floor and breaking.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Ebooks got me back to reading. Just so convenient to look for books and download them.

It's been great for saving money on school books as well. As I don't really care for taking notes inside the books, it works out perfectly.

6. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like either.

I prefer audio-books. I find that i enjoy the book more when i listen to it. I can relax, and really take in everything. I do not like actual reading anymore because it hurts my eyes. Which leads to a massive headache. It has been that way my entire life. In the past i never really had a choice.

Things have changed now. Audiobooks provide a great alternative.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Even though the eBooks are much better than books, am sure they will never completely replace the hard copy books. I am one person that is addicted to reading books the old fashioned way. I have tried to use eBooks but in the end there was always a problem with my eyes because of the screen brightness. For this reason, I decided to stick to my old books.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I much prefer books. You can get that same feel of just lounging around and flicking a page instantly with an Ebook. I have gotten Ebooks before but the quality is just so low that I avoid it when I can. I honestly can't see what would make people go for Ebooks. I suppose you can carry around a much larger collection, but when you have the chance why not just go for paperback.

9. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I much prefer books. I love the feel of holding it in my hand after a long day at work. However I don't mind my eBook reader when I am on holiday, its great when traveling. I love not having to pack four or five books in my case.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ebooks all the way, because books contain the same things like their ebook version, so why am I gonna spend money when I can read them for free right? After reading the whole book, you will be left with a clutter or stack of books that take up space in your room, while with ebooks, you all have digital copies stored on your Kindle, pc, or flash drive. No taking up additional space whatsoever.

11. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    At first I had a hard time reading on a computer, but I forced myself because I also know that the paper support is obsolete in the sense that it is a big waste of resources.

You might think that a book is better than these novel devices that die without battery, but then it is much more comfortable. You download and read them before you sleep, just like that. It's like if you read a paper book.

Look at

. The truth is that it should be standard by now.

I forgot to mention the electronic format has the advantage that you can have hundreds of books in the same device and it might take you even less space than a single paper book.

And you read more. Since I bought it I usually read even as much one book a day. It is very comfortable and has much more savings.

12. Grapejars

GrapejarsNew Member

Threads:
    I was forever a hard copy book reader, and I was very enthusiastic one at that. I told myself to be a traditionalist, and to savor the scent of a brand new book. Then I got the kindle app for iPad and I love the electronic book now. I can read at night without waking my husband, and I can read at the gym while running! I still love the scent and feel of a real book, but I admit I am a convert, and can see the benefits of an ebook!

13. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    For the most part, I prefer ebooks because they are a lot cheaper and don't take up any space on my bookshelf. My bookshelf is reserved for the series' that I love such as Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. I also prefer actual books when it comes to cookbooks. Its a lot easier to keep a page open that way rather than to try to keep it open on a tablet that goes dark after five minutes.