Electric toothbrushes

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Strykstar • Apr 24, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you use regular toothbrushes or electric ones?
    I still use the regulars but I've been thinking about switching over, so I don't have to replace the brushes as often, but then there's the added electricity costs.
    Anyone have any experience on this?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You'll still have to replace the brushes at the same frequency actually. You usually get an extra head when you first buy it, but you're still supposed to change the heads every 3 months.

The benefits of electric toothbrushes are usually that you will be more efficient with the brushing. They will do a much better job than manual toothbrushes usually. You're not really going to save any money using them, though.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Regular, because more than anything I find them more effective. It's difficult to really push in between the crevices with the intense vibration. I don't know what hygiene benefits there could possible be actually. I have tried them in the past but will probably never use them again unless drastic improvements are made.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I like to use electric tooth brushes with a small head. There are some brand name models with a large head but it makes maneuvering inside your mouth a little difficult. I replace every six months but it really depends on the user.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I use regular toothbrushes. They're less expensive than electrical ones and are not prone to malfunctions. I still have in my head the image of my roommate using his fancy electrical toothbrush as a regular one when the darn think broke ;) The cost of electricity that you mention, that's negligible I think, how much can a toothbrush consume anyway?

6. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I do not like electric toothbrushes.

In my opinion. They are to bulky. Especially the cheaper models. I find that the handle is never long enough ti reach the back of mouth. Not to mention that the spinning function is not powerful enough to really clean my teeth. I really liked the idea of the electric toothbrush, with the spinning brush. However, the execution of the devices leaves a lot to be desired.

The electric toothbrush was a waste of $5. I will stay with my regular toothbrush in the future.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Hehehe, I guess electric toothbrushes can't break down, they just become regular one, the same way an escalator just becomes stairs :)
    The electricity cost might be very small, but using it multiple times a day, for every single day I'm sure adds up to something...

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I just use the regular ones. I do not see any effectiveness when using the electric toothbrushes. Just take time and brush your teeth properly then there will be no need of getting the other electric toothbrush. But it is a common trend these days but no much advantage I must say.

9. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I too have no interest in them. To be completely honest, I forgot these things exist. o_O Granted I'm not always watching TV, but I don't recall seeing an electric toothbrush commercial in some time. When I was a kid I thought they were cool, but my parents probably only tried getting it once or twice, so that just shows what we though about them. I'm too accustomed to just doing it all myself. As said above, I feel I can reach places better and can get the job done faster than the electric brush. That and I save money.

10. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using electric tooth brush for few years now and I find it more effective for me because the size of the brush is small and it is easy to get it all around my teeth. It is quite expensive to buy and you need to change the brush at least once in two months. You need to charge it too and the battery does last for few days but you will get in trouble if you go somewhere with no ability to charge it so you still need to have the regular one as a back up.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also use a regular toothbrush and I never considered buying an electric one because I don't have the need for it. From what I've read it's not more economic, so even if it's more efficient I think I will continue with the traditional method. :)

12. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    $5? I think you're referring to the battery operated toothbrushes. They are a waste of money. I have never run across an electric toothbrush for less than $19.99. That was a cheap Braun.

I have an easier time getting my back teeth clean with the small-head electric toothbrushes. With a regular brush, I tend to go too hard on my back teeth and end up with sore gums in the back of my mouth. They definitely charge a pretty penny for the replacement heads. It was nice while I had one, but I don't want to spend that kind of money when a regular toothbrush works.

13. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    I use a Sonicare. It's the best thing that ever happened to my teeth, really. A lot of people aren't brushing correctly with regular brushes, and that makes dental problems even worse.

An electric toothbrush helped me stop brushing too hard. It's not good for your teeth. The brush heads can be expensive for them, but Woot.com seems to have them (and the ones for Oral-B) super cheap every so often. I just stock up when they have them.

Definitely don't waste your money on the crappy cheap ones, they're not worth it. I have bought the $10 Oral-B ones to take traveling when I don't want to lug around a charger, and they seem to work decently, only take a AAA battery, and come in different sizes if you don't want bulky ones. Same goes for Sonicare, lots of different types to choose from.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am using a regular toothbrush, but I have been wanting to switch to electric toothbrush, for more intensive, complete and right care for my teeth. It does everything. The only thing that we have to do is hold the brush and shift it. So, I think it does the right way of toothbrush-ing. A dentist actually even recommended it to me.