When to replace a toothbrush

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Apr 24, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are people who replace their toothbrush every couple of years, and others who do it every couple of months. I admit, I have been known to hang onto mine for up to 6 months. I suppose if you have a quality brush that you regularly disinfect, it will do a good job for a long time.
    I wonder about the toothbrushes that have a colour ring that fades with time and is supposed to indicate when it's time to buy a new one. Do you think that's just another marketing scheme?

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I replace my brush when the bristles become misshapened and distorted. I don't feel that a toothbrush becomes any less sanitary with time. Whatever bacteria are in your mouth is on the brush after the first use. The ones that fade or change colour are just a gimmick to encourage you to buy a new brush more frequently. The bristles need to be stiff enough and straight enough to remain effective but I am convinced that the time frame for replacement that is on the package only serves the company's bottom line.

3. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I replace mine every two months or so. We have a nice stockpile of toothbrushes on hand, though, luckily; I get them free with coupons.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't use the same toothbrush for more than 3 months. I just can't. I'm horrified to hear there are people that use them for more than 6 months! Toothbrushes ideally should be replaced every 2 to 3 months, they go inside your mouth a few times a day, get wet often, are placed in hot and humid spots in the bathroom - they are a germ magnet!! Please don't take more than 3 months to replace your toothbrush!!!

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Well, personally I would never use one for a couple of years lol. I replace mine every 2-3 months. That being said, we have a dental professional in our family, so we have boxes of free toothbrushes LOL

6. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Every couple of years?! That makes me a bit queasy to think about...

I usually replace mine every few months. So I probably use about three or four a year. I don't mind, because they aren't extremely pricey. It usually becomes apparent to me when I need to get a new one. The old one just gets a bit worn down. Sometimes I will replace it more frequently if I've been really sick.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's just a marketing scheme, the part where it fades through constant use? Unless the bristles are obviously worn looking, then I don't really replace my toothbrush. I think I replace my toothbrush every year. A toothbrush lasts with me for more than a year, but not more than 2 years.