Would you borroe clothes to save cash?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Apr 25, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Would you borrow clothes to save cash?

So there's some special occasion you need to attend and you're required to wear a yellow suit [or something just as weird] but you don't like yellow suits. That means you'd wear it only once [if you were to buy it].

So, guys, would you swallow your pride to save money, and ask a friend or family member to lend you clothes for a day if they have what you need?

#1Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I have borrowed clothes from girlfriends just because I like some of their stuff and they have so many clothes. I would borrow a dress for an event, and they wouldn't mind.

That being said, I haven't really had to do it in a situation that would really save me a ton of money. But, I would definitely do it.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, why not. And if I can't borrow what I need, I'll go to a thrift shop and see what they have got on offer. I wouldn't miss the fun or experience of some occasion, just because I don't have the right clothes. I would simply get creative and show up anyway. :)

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Of course!

Well, actually, if it were something super out-of-the-ordinary like a yellow suit, I would probably have to rent it from somewhere. But even then, if I needed a special dress and didn't know anyone that had one, I wouldn't mind renting one. That's still going to be cheaper than buying it out right.

If I absolutely had to, there's also the possibility of buying it and then immediately reselling it for near-new price.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If we talk about suits or themed clothes, sure, I borrow them. A suit can be expensive and I rarely use one, so why pay when I can borrow? And if you have real friends, pride is not involved, it's a matter of friends helping friends :D Dora's idea is not bad either. With some luck you can buy the clothes you need for cheap in a second-hand store if you don't mind wearing used.

6. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. I wouldn't have to swallow my pride, I'm asking to borrow something not receive a hand-out.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I would borrow, but I've always bought a piece of clothing even if I'm gonna wear it only once. So I'd probably just buy 1 if it's not too expensive.

8. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I would borrow clothes to save cash.

I have done this before. Many times. I have a lot of friends, and we borrow eachothers clothing all the time. Why bot? If you have good enough friends that do not mind letting you borrow their clothes. me, and my fiends have been doing this since we were in middle school. It is a great way to save cash.

Between the 3 of us, we have a hug wardrobe.

9. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No - I hate borrowing clothes from other people.

It seems like something always goes wrong. So, I'd rather buy something inexpensive or rent an outfit. Both acts help me avoid any misunderstanding between a pal.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not too against it as long as the clothes fit me well enough, which is rare, so I mostly prefer to just have my own. I'm also a lot more comfortable with using my own clothes anyway, since I'm very anal about using only my own things as much as possible, but again, I could get over it if I felt it to be necessary enough. I'd also only consider it if the clothing item were that expensive, since if it were just ordinary clothes that were averagely priced, I'd much rather just buy those rather than inconvenience other people and myself in the process.

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I may do this for clothes which are to be used for special occasions, but not for clothes which I use daily. For example, I may borrow a gown that I will use for a wedding because there's no point for me to buy one when I know for sure that I will only need it once. The same is true for handbags for parties. I only buy a generic one and when I need a specific color, I just try to borrow from my friends.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, for a special occasion I would borrow an outfit because I can't justify buying a special outfit that I'll only wear once. Even if I was to get married, I would rent a wedding dress.
    My frugal nature would never allow me to buy an expensive outfit, even if it was for a special occasion. There are better ways to spend a couple thousand dollars than on a formal dress.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course!!! There's nothing really wrong with borrowing clothes especially if the clothes you are going to borrow are what you really like to wear and what you see best fitted to be worn for the occasion in which you plan to wear it. It doesn't just save you money. It also saves you time and saves you from the hassle of finding and shopping to the mall.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Of course I would, I would either borrow it or rent it.
    Buying clothes to wear just once wouldn't even cross my mind, it's not a matter of swallowing my pride, it's just a matter of being financially responsible and knowing that it would be a waste of money.

15. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    Yes I would definitely borrow an outfit to wear one time and save money etc. I got married 3 years ago and went to a ladies consignment store and bought my wedding dress. It was NOT traditional white, it was floral, but it worked out good. I got it for $40. It served the purpose well. I also wore it a few other times when I needed to dress up. I could probably take it back and put it on consignment and get back half my money.