Will you ever travel alone?

Discussion in Travel started by 003 • Apr 25, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Travelling alone might be a bit lonely. But it is an experience that allows one to grow more as a man and be independent alongside of allowing him to be insightful and to learn how to enjoy solitude. It takes some courage for those who are not accustomed of being alone, and for those who have taken solitude as part of their lives, this a very beautiful experience they are craving for and would be excited to think about.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always travel alone and have never felt lonely. The beauty about traveling alone is that you have all the freedom you need to do whatever you want to do without worrying that someone you love might get hurt or might not like that kind of stuff you do — like bungee jumping.

It's much better IMO for someone to at least once in year, travel alone and if it's possible, later, s/he can travel with their family and chill out in some fancy resort.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I've traveled alone before. This was just a short weekend break to Edinburgh though. I find it a bit boring in the hotel in the evenings, but otherwise it was fine. I would prefer to travel with company, but I wouldn't avoid it altogether simply due to a lack of company.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've never taken a complete trip fully alone before because typically I end up meeting up with people I know in different destinations. I cannot imagine I wouldn't like it though. Now that I'm a mother of four, I love the weeks that my husband takes all the kids to his parents house and leaves me home alone. It is bliss.

When it comes to traveling though, I guess my thought is, if I'm going to spend the money, I'd rather have it be WITH my husband at this point, than alone, you know?

On the other hand, my husband goes camping alone and swears by it.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think traveling alone is lonely at all! Both times I traveled alone I made such great friends! I think when you are alone in a different country you feel more carefree and open to different people. It's easier to make friends, to talk to people, to know different places and to go where YOU want, since there is no need to follow someone else's schedule. I love traveling alone and highly recommend it.

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to experience traveling alone. For most of my travels, I was either with my family or with my spouse. We all need to experience these types of private moments for a few days, most particularly during times when we need to recharge and explore our inner selves. Right now, my children are not yet ready to be left alone and there are no relatives whom I can entrust them to. Someday, with the proper funds, I wish to do this for my self as a personal reward.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I do not see any problem when travelling alone. In fact I can choose the music to listen to without thinking about my partner will want to listen to. When travelling alone you can make many independent decisions like where to eat, sleep among other things. Who would not want such freedom? I love travelling alone may be just say that you might get bored when is not no one to tell you a few stories.

8. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't for vacation purposes, no. I have traveled alone a couple of times for business and then met up with other people who are also in the company or are on a planned work trip. I have also traveled with friends. Other trips were taken with my husband and or other family members. I'm not sure that I would personally want to travel somewhere alone, but if the opportunity ever came up and my husband was unable to go, I would consider it.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I would and I do, pretty much every time I travel it is by myself. I travel all over the UK by coach and I love nothing more than being by myself and just looking out of the window at the world rushing by as I listen to music on my phone. :)

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Before I started a family I traveled alone all the time. Hitchhiking was my method of transportation and hostels were my home. Traveling like this was a great way to save money for other/longer trips and I also got to know lots of wonderful people that I'm still friends with till this day. And yes, you do grow as a human being when traveling alone. Solving all the problems, meeting all the people and interacting with them brings lessons that last a lifetime!

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I used to travel alone and I found it to be the best time to think. I had the freedom to come and go as I please and just do anything and everything I wanted to. Now, 3 kids later, I have no time and/or funds to travel much. My husband and kids are scared of everything so traveling with them would be useless.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never tried it, but I plan to in the future. I've traveled with friends before, and while that was fun, I felt a bit like I was bringing a bit too much of home with me and therefore still kind of felt like I was in my comfort zone. I think it's good to try this out if it interests you enough because having friends with you there still kind of puts you in a bubble, while being alone in a foreign country will force you to interact more with the locals and possibly build stronger relationships with them and therefore might give you a clearer perspective on the culture.

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a very close-minded view there. :(

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've traveled alone quite a lot over the past few years, mainly for work. But even when I did go on vacations with friends, we would often break off and go do our own things because we could never agree on anything to do as a group.

The real problem was there was one tightwad in particular whom we never should have invited, who was always a stick in the mud and never wanted to spend any money to do anything. He would try and hold out to see if one of us would just pay for it for him, and we all kind of got sick of his shit, so we just split up and a few of us quietly regrouped elsewhere.

Personally I don't mind travelling alone at all. Honestly, even when I am travelling with friends, we rarely get seats near each other on the plane, we are often all driving to the airport separately, and we never really even regroup until we finally get to our destination anyhow, so it's more or less everyone fending for themselves anyhow.

15. trl1980

trl1980New Member

Threads:
    Traveling alone always sounds good in my head, but I have yet to actually do it. I'm going to put it on my bucket list for 2015 though. I don't want to continue to miss out on experiencing different things because I don't have friends to go with me. 2015 will be a year full of new experiences for me.

16. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have traveled alone many times in the past, moved, lived, and worked in few different countries all by myself and I enjoyed it so much. The experience I got was very different than travelling with friends. I liked organizing my tours with tour company without having to consider other's opinion and their desires. Now I have my own family and I'm glad I had that experience in the past because there is no way I can travel alone again nowadays.

17. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never traveled alone, but if I did I would be more inclined to go to places where there were going to be alot of other people who were traveling solo as well like possibly a singles cruise or another similar destination that catered to single travelers. I think in certain places it's not safe to be traveling alone especially if your female but if you stay aware of your surroundings, are keen on defending yourself, and like traveling alone then it can be worth a try for some people.

18. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    My idea of a vacation is more active than sitting on a beach and enjoying the sunshine. I want to go out and explore and be active. As a result of this, I limit myself in terms of who I can vacation with. My idea of a vacation is not the same as it is for everyone and that is okay. Sometimes it is possible to find a location that is suitable to the adventurer and the sunbather but normally you need to take separate vacations.

I think that it is better to vacation alone if the person you would usually vacation with has different ideas of what makes a pleasurable vacation. The purpose is to enjoy it and vacationing alone can often be more enjoyable for an individual if it suits their needs.

19. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I've traveled by train alone at least twice. The ride was only about 4 hours long so it wasn't that bad. However, if the trip was long I would prefer to travel with a friend. Traveling along makes the trip seems longer and having a friend by your side would make great entertainment.

20. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Just take necessary precautions. and i think travelling alone is not bid deal When you don't feel safe, do what you need to in order to feel safe...