When you you move over from dial-up?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Hedonologist • Apr 27, 2014.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I have had broadband since December 2003. I still know a couple of people in villages that are on dial-up in 2014! However they are only paying £4.99 per month for unlimited access which is quite good seeing how they don't need it for anything other than sending emails. Does anyone here still use dial-up and if so, are you only on dial-up because there is no other option?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't, but I did live in an area where dial-up was the only option. It was still so stupidly slow and I hated it, but we didn't have any other options, so it was better than nothing, I suppose. Fortunately, I was younger back then and not hooked on speedy internet yet, so it wasn't as bad as it would be now.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used a dial up modem once and won't forget how slow it could be. A small 14 MB download would take up to an hour to complete, depending on the time of the day. Even simple browsing could be hell. I don't think anyone should permit themselves to go through that if there's an option of switching to faster internet for a little bit more.

4. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    I've used dial-up in the home until about 2006 (seriously). We always had a family desktop in the home, and after a while you learn little tricks here and there on how to get free dial-up. So our family was just content with using that plus a dedicated phone line. It wasn't too bad until that point, just avoid YouTube and get used to having an mp3 download take about twenty minutes. It wasn't until I was getting ready for college did I buy a laptop and discover all the neighbors I had who were willing to share their wireless access.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using a home wireless broadband at the moment which I still have to connect to a phone but we can bring it everywhere with us just like mobile broadband since it's wireless. We bring it to the village too when we go back because our dial-up connection is no longer there.

I know few people who are still using dial-up connection but I'm not too sure if they are paying less than I do because everything is expensive here in my country.

6. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Dial up was my only option until about 5 or 6 years ago. Well, could have had a dish. But I thought was kind of dumb to have two dishes, one for the tv (the only option, no cable here either). Now I have wireless broadband. It's great until a storm or something. But it makes it thru a 'regular' rain ok most times.

I had a major hassle with VOIP recently, it wasn't them, it was only that I need to put the router in the other window, lol. Seriously, now I get 4 lights most of the time, and when the trees shed, it's all 5.

7. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    Wow, I can't even imagine that anyone would still be using dial-up in 2014. The internet would be pretty much useless unless you were just using it to send emails and check facebook, and even that would still take a while.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use prepaid dial up when the prepaid broadband connection was still expensive here. Now they have become more affordable, so now I have switched to broadband nowadays. Besides, we have had our landline subscription cut a couple of months ago because no one was using it, like the whole day would pass and the phone would be silent, so for sure I won't go back to dial up anymore.

9. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I have not used dial up in a very long time. I upgraded as soon satellite internet was offered for rural areas. Even though dial up is still an option, I do not think that I would ever switch back to it. Satellite internet is not that great but it sure is faster than dial up.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I was rather late moving to broadband because it was about £40 a month here in London and I couldn't afford it. Ah I remember the dial-up days I had a deal where I could get free internet from 6pm-8am Monday to Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday, so I would spend 6pm-8am online and then sleep until 6pm the following day. I met so many weird and wonderful people. I miss those day. :(

11. Andrey212121

Andrey212121Banned

Threads:
    I moved from dial up since 2002. Now i have 1gb( its about 100 megabytes per sec) upload and download speed. But it cost too much...

12. rezonate

rezonateNew Member

Threads:
    I don't know how I was able to manage with dial up. The speeds were very slow, it would literally have to dial and believe me i don't miss that sound it kind of got annoying after a while. Now I have Time Warner and signed up with their fastest package which is the Ultimate package for $75. Speeds are 300mbps, Downloads are crazy fast and literally takes me seconds to download media files. I can't imagine going back to Dial up. But to think back, Dial Up was better than nothing. Dial Up was able to give me access to a whole new world i didn't experience before. So although slow i'm grateful that i came across it.

13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Don't even remember the year I switched over from dial up. Had to be around 2000 or 2001. Being on dial up internet was terrible. Very slow and miserable experience. I'm very thankful for the much better internet experience that exists today. A lot faster and more enjoyable.