Travel with pets.

Discussion in Travel started by prettycolors • May 1, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    As a pet owner, would you take your pets with you on your travels?

Last year we went to the seaside with a group of friends. They have an adult Husky and insisted on taking the dog with them. Let me tell you, it was a pain! All of us had to constantly be on the lookout for the dogs whereabouts (we let it loose since it was a deserted beach) and someone had to stay at the tent all the time to watch for the dog.

I really think pets should be left at home. They make your travels more expensive and less relaxing.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It depends.

I thought my answer would always be 'no', but a couple years ago, my mom took in a dog from a friend of the family who passed away. He was elderly and couldn't be left alone at all, so we took him with us on Easter and Thanksgiving trips to visit family. He did great and wasn't a problem, but obviously it did add some complications and things to keep track of. He had a room he could be kept in while we were there and actually stayed outside on a leash for the most part, so it wasn't a huge deal.

To the beach, though? That doesn't sound fun at all unless it was a dog who would stay close while you were playing in the water and whatnot.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wanted to but I really couldn't because with both of them, apparently they would be past the size limit in the cabin. I would never put them in cargo. I plan to take them if I go to Florida in the summer. It probably won't be bad but you do have to watch them carefully in new surroundings. I guess it just depends on whether you consider your pet your family member or just an animal.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I only took one of my dogs on a trip with us, back when she was only about a year old. My family was moving me into my dorm room at the college I was attending, and it was a four hour trip down there and another 4 hours back. There wasn't going to be anyone at home to keep an eye on the dog and we didn't trust to leave her with anyone else (we lost another dog when we left it with a relative and it got loose and hit by a car). She behaved really well, but she basically hogged up the whole back set and I had to sit on the floor of the van, while she took a long nap.

Also the other reason I brought her along was because it was going to be the last time I saw her for a long while, so I wanted to spend one last time with her. I was the one that rescued her from the pound.

She was good right up until we had to start moving my stuff in. We had to chain her to the van, and one of us would stay down there with her at all times while the rest of us moved stuff in. She was barking up a storm at everyone.

The only other time I took one of my dogs on a sort of long trip, was when I brought our terrier up to see my apartment a few years ago. That was only about an hour and a half drive though. By that point in time, two of my three dogs had recently passed away and she was the last one left. She was really old as well and I wasn't sure how much longer she would be around, so we brought her up for fun, since none of my other dogs had ever been to my place before. She ended up passing away about three weeks after that visit, so we got her up there just in time.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    That is why I avoid having pets at home because it is another headache of what to do with it whenever me and my family go for a holiday. It is not nice to ask friends to look after the pet every time we go because I'm sure my friends would want to have an easy day as well after being so tired at work. I used to have a cat in the past and I gave it to my friend for a care when I went for a long holiday. I never wanted my cat to have babies but when I got back my cat was already pregnant :(

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd never take a pet with me when I'm traveling. A pet requires some care and that's the sort of thing I want to avoid when I'm mountaineering or doing scuba-diving if I visit some coastal place. If it wasn't for my penchant for high-risk activities, I wouldn't mind taking my little dog along. But since what I do would be too dangerous for him if he were to be by my side, I prefer that he stays home — safe.

7. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    We have two family dogs, one about 20lbs and the other about 50lbs! We thought it was a good idea to travel with them in the car last summer. The drive was about 3 hours long. Let's just say that will be the last road trip they will go one for awhile. They were horrible.

8. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    My understanding is that airplanes have their own compartments for animals,and that type of opportunity is very good for me because i also travel with pet..

9. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    travelling with pets is not good idea. you have to take care of themoo, which can be obstacle to your fun. and many hotels, bars, shopping malls and restuarants don't allow animals, so it is diificult to manage with them.