Laptop temperature affecting my games FPS?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by deathbyprayer • May 11, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Hi! I have a gaming laptop, well that's what I like to call it anyways. It's an i5 2.4Ghz machine with 1GB Nvidia GT520MX GPU and 12GB's of RAM. I've been playing a lot of games in my laptop and I have noticed that whenever my GPU's temperature spikes up, the FPS of the game is affected, it goes from 60FPS down to just 30 sometimes 15 even. So, my question is, do you guys know any way to cool it down? It's not that hot on the surface, its more on the inside. I have fans and coolers pointed at the damned thing and none of them seem to work, except when I try to set it against an air conditioner. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated, thanks!

2. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend that you buy a USB fan. These are pretty cool devices that you put underneath your laptop and you just plug it into the USB port on your computer and the fan automatically powers up and begins to cool your computer. I've used this a couple of times and it works very well and helps to keep the temperatures down as well as is very convenient as it's small and portable and you can take it with your laptop wherever you go.

3. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I had the same problem with my laptop, my problem was that the air couldn't get out of the laptop, because it was on my desk and the air tried to get out below the laptop but couldn't because of the desk. Raising it up a bit with books helped a lot before I bought a laptop stand. You could try books at first to raise it up a bit from your desk a bit and if that helps I would recommend buying a laptop stand, because it's much more convenient. There are also laptop stands with integrated fans, those would help better I think, but they are also more expensive.

4. fivebyfive

fivebyfiveNew Member

Threads:
    Okay I think the topic reads a little backwards. The harder your computer has to work, the hotter the computer will get. The hotter the computer gets the more damage that can occur inside of the computer. So in essence if you're playing a FPS game there's a chance your computer is going to get really, really hot. The best thing to do is to cool it off. There are actually companies that make pads that sit in your lap or on your desk with built in fans or self cooling systems. The thing is they help direct the head away from your laptop and allow your computer to continue to perform well.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here's what you need to do. Unscrew the bottom of your laptop and clean the heat sink and any fans with compressed air. Don't use anything other than compressed air or you're going to damage the innards of your laptop. After that, just screw the back on again and you'll be good to go. The inside of a desktop or laptop needs to be cleaned every few months in order to function properly and at the right temperature. You're seeing extra heat because it's dirty in there, and the fans are probably a little clogged with dirt and dust.

6. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it really does have a huge impact in your FPS. I experience that with my laptop back then, whenever my GPU temperature reaches above 85 degrees the frames stutter and lags. But buying a USB fan and pointing it at your laptop won't do you jack for the temperature. You have to either buy a dedicated cooling system for your laptop (usually a fan that will be installed inside your laptop) or you have to clean out the fans and possible reapply thermal gel.

7. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    It usually does impact the FPS, I think it's something built into the hardware which makes the components slow down if they get too hot to save them from damaging. You could try to get an external cooling tray to put your laptop om; that should help you a lot.

8. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    I would make sure that the card temperatures are within their ranges before buying anything. There is a certain threshold that will damage your components and significantly lower the lifespan of your laptop. Playing games is fun but having a working laptop is much more exciting LOL

You didn't list the temperatures so I can't really diagnose the issue as-is. The fact that it's such a beast concerns me that the FPS is dropping so low. Are you playing really intensive games? That sounds really strange and I'd look into this problem into more detail.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think heating does have significant effect on the speed of a computer. I myself have owned a few laptops that heat up way too much and when they get to that point some of them have become unusable. I think this is especially more prevalent when it comes to gaming since I assume it uses much more power. I guess the best you could do is to use cooling pads underneath but I don't think it would be enough for gaming for long periods. You might just want to consider getting a more modern one.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    First of all laptops aren't really good for gaming because of that reason not unless you have some solid colling system installed on your laptop. USB fans won't do you any good if you really want to lessen the impact of temperature on your games FPS I say either clean the fan or just upgrade the cooling in your laptop. New thermal gels will also help out.

11. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    That's why you should always use a cooling pad.