Where to fill the tank?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Gelsemium • May 12, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just yesterday I filled the tank of my car, around 65€ full tank, quite an expense, but lasts me for around 3 weeks, not too bad. I knew which companies had the better prices, so I figure I saved around 10€ (yes!) just by going to the cheapest. Do you do this as well?

2. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Well I usually get my gas from Cheveron, outside of the city because they are really cheap. The quality of gas works well for my car also. I also signed up for their rewards program to save even more money.

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    We have a local grocery store chain called HEB that offers reward points. They really add up. They also sell gas, and it's some of the cheapest in town. So I also get reward points on it too. My daughter fills up at Stripes, similar deal cept it just saves on gas.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, that is my point exactly, if we do know where to look and we are not lazy to search we just might save some money. Sometimes it's worth it to drive some extra miles or to take a different road just to pass by that place that has the better prices or makes better deals for us. Sometimes it's not about the best price, but the overall deal.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Most fuel stations in the UK are within 3p of each other, so the savings are minimal. Some in rural locations are maybe 6p more but even then that is only £3 per tank. I also go to the one that is cheapest when I happen to pass it, so I know I am getting at least within 1 penny of the best deal around.

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    It's usually worth it to shop around a bit to see which gas station is the cheapest, as long as it's roughly the same distance.
    There's no point in driving somewhere else to save $2 on gas if you spend $3 more to drive up to that station.
    I'm lucky that the cheapest gas station around is right on my route to work :)

7. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    For people in the states, try this, it's great. Tells what the prices are in your area.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually either get my gas from the Super Wawa or the local guy just down my road (It's a Citgo). I go to the Citgo for convenience more then anything, because the closest Super Wawa is about a 15 minute drive away from my house. The Wawa usually has cheaper prices then anywhere else, but all of the gas stations have been about equal in price lately, since they are all pretty close to each other.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, we have an equivalent site here in Portugal (

), but to be honest I don't even use it because I know where the best prices are. I don't know if they update that site in a reliable way, but I do know in what places I play less or I have discounts so I head there all the time I need to refill.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The stations outside of the city can be less expensive also the day of the week you purchase the fuel can also make a little difference in the cost of fuel in my area. The holidays also makes the cost of fuel more expensive. Shopping around for the cost of fuel can save some money if you do not have to drive too far.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'm lucky that there's a Chevron station basically straight on path to my school and right off the highway to where I go to work. It makes getting gas very easy and allows me to save money by not having to plan an extra trip into town to go fill my tank. Pretty much every other gas station that's in my general area requires sitting in traffic for a good 10 minutes. So even if another close station is a little cheaper, it's not worth my time to go there and it's comes out to the same price after driving that extra distance.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    We can see it both ways really, a few years ago I thought like this, why do I bother in looking for a cheaper station if after the tank if filled up I won't save more than a few dollars? Well, a few dollars here, a few dollars there and it's a good amount of money. So, I now pay way more attention to where I spend my money and I do give myself the trouble to look for the cheaper place.

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's true, a few years ago I never even gave it a second thought, I just filled up the tank at whatever gas station was closest and didn't even glance at the price.
    Nowadays it's completely different, if I know I will need to put gas in the car, I will look at the prices on the three gas stations I drive by on the way to work and then at the end of the day I go to the cheapest one on the drive back home.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, times are much harder now because prices continue to go up, but the wages are not growing or, in my particular case, are coming down, so I really have to optimize the money I have and adjust my behavior to the new reality. This includes not only gas for the car, but all the other things I buy, I see them with different eyes and I give myself the trouble to think about how to save.

15. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I wish I could get full tank for 65€. Around here it would cost me 80€ for 60 liters. I usually fill my tank in the cheapest gas station in my city - Neste Oil. They have self-service computers, where customer puts in money or his/her credit card and fills the tank himself.

Because of not having a cashier and shop, they sell the gas a couple of cents cheaper than other gas station chains. It may seem unnoticeable, but on the long run I save lots of money!

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    It's not so different from me Kazix, I get full tank for 65€, but that is around 50 liters, I imagine that if I went 10 liters more the value would not be too distant from the 80€. Crazy values even so considering most of that goes to taxes and other things related to oil transportation. Just figure, if companies can make 10 cents less per liter, how much are the other companies earning?

17. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been able to income to such savings. €10 for me is a lot of money and if I could find a fuel station that would save me that kind of money then I'll definitely go to. But where am from and where am based you would not be able to find such savings. This seems to be some sort of alliance between the different fuel stations and so it's hard to find such kind of savings or discounts. I'm happy for you though that you able to find that.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that if fuel companies are smart enough they can make programs similar to the one I have, I have the card that gives me 10 cents discount per liter that is credited for supermarket shopping with a supermarket chain with who they have an agreement, so both companies win and I win too. Just got to do the right partnerships. ;)

19. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I get my gas from Buc-ee's which is usually cheaper than it's competitors anyway. Sometime's it is a few cents cheaper other times it is almost a dollar cheaper. It really depends, but even if somewhere is a few cents cheaper I'll stay at Buc-ee's just because I'm a loyal customer. Sounds silly, but it is the truth.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Haha, loyal customer to a gas brand? That's a new one for me, my loyalty is to the brands that make me save money, if they are more expensive or don't give me any sort of benefits why would I go there? Sure, sometimes location by itself it's a benefit, but I would not drive from my way just to go to fill the tank in a place that is more expensive.