Do You enjoy reading books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Jrh2 • May 18, 2014.

1. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I love to read books and read for at least an hour a day but my friend doesn't read at all so it would be interesting to know how often or if others read books regularly. I like to read a book before I go to sleep as it is one of the few times I have to read and helps me relax.

If you read books how often do you read?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I probably sit down with a book that I am 'chipping away at' about 3 times a week. I prefer fictional light reading over action or drama. However, I also read a lot of 'How To' or 'Self-Help' books as well as online magazines. Reading a book before you go to sleep is much better than staring at a tablet, computer or T.V. because the screen from these can cause a person to stay awake. When you hold a book and turn its pages, it is like you are becoming active in diverging your thoughts to some other world. I find reading a good book can really calm me down if I have had a hectic day and give my brain a rest. After I am recharged I often have something fun to discuss with whomever I'm with.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be a book-lover. On average I read at least one book a day, every day for the whole year. When you read that number of books in a year for a long time, you know what happens? It gets to a point where you've read most of the good books and every other book you pick up that's not as good as the others you read before, you simply can't enjoy reading them.

Because I never can find enough good books to read, I don't read as much as I did back then. But in a way that's helped me a lot. I don't have to buy books and that saves me a substantial amount of money at the end of the year.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm reading around five books per month. Used to be a lot more but I have less time these days. Anyway, not only is reading good for the mind but it's also a really cheap form of entertainment. Books are quite inexpensive if you shop around - even the hardcover ones can be bough online with free shipping and at reasonable prices.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Curling up on the sofa with a book is one of my favourite things to do. I'm not even keen to buy a kindle, I'm happy with the proper things. I don't really have a favourite writer, but I'm very into wrestler autobiographies at the moment. :)

6. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    I go through a phase every couple of months where I absolutely devour every book I can get my hands on. During those bouts (usually on the weekend) I can probably finish a couple of short novels a day. My favorite books are non-fiction, by virtue of them being easier to thumb through or read out of order. As far as fiction goes, my favorite writer is probably Kurt Vonnegut, and my favorite novel is Slaughterhouse Five.

Our bookshelf is constantly growing and shrinking, as I keep acquiring books and either lending them out/selling them. Sad part is, I've probably gone through only about 40% of the books I own. The ones I have read, though, I usually read over and over again. Not only that but I'm addicted to checking ebooks out on our local library's app.

7. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time that I got so busy with work that I ended up not even reading a book for a year. I used to read so much during my younger years and so that was a big change when I stopped reading.

Right now, I really to try to allocate time in a day to read. At least 30 minutes before I go to bed, I make sure that I read. This does not count the times in between the day that I would try to squeeze in some minutes to read.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to read a book from start to finish of course when I was reading novels, but now I just scan the parts that interest me since I'm not reading novels anymore, I read esoteric and self-help books nowadays. I noticed that ever since DVD's and the internet became popular, I really read less frequently now.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy reading books, even just reading a single book over and over. When I read book, it's me time. I am far from the reality, though in some strange way, it gets me closer to it. I feel the dichotomy both at the same time. And it's just weird. Nevertheless, when I read book, I feel so relaxed and I feel like I am a good man. I don't get stressed, but I feel annoyed, irritated, thrilled and excited.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Reading books is the most relaxing thing I can imagine. It takes my mind off all worries and often makes me feel sleepy. I have always loved books and can't imagine a life without them. I would even go so far to say that some of my books are my best friends. I often think the one thing that I would miss if I was stranded on some lonely island would definitely be a library. ;-)

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love reading books. I love reading period. My favorite genres are science fiction and mystery. I enjoy losing myself in a well written novel. Immersing myself in a different world is like taking a mini vacation.

12. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Since getting my Kindle a few years ago, I've gotten back to my love of reading. I love its convenience to be able to carry it around everywhere and not have a bunch of books taking up space in my room.

I don't get to read much during the school year for enjoyment (unfortunately, just not time), so I a lot of the time save books for when I'm on break and can spend more time reading. It's kind of stressful reading for enjoyment during the semester when you know you should probably be using that time to study.

13. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I use to really be into reading and haven't been into it in recent years. I really need to get back into it, because it's nice to be able to escape into a good book and get into someone else's life for a change lol.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Reading is one of the things i absolutely love to do on my spare time. Reading books, especially fiction, which is the genre I'm currently into, gives you an escape from reality even for just a little bit. It also makes our imagination active because our mind is working all the time when we read because of how we imagine the characters, the settings and what not. So not only reading is fun, it's also a great exercise for the mind. :p

15. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I have had a great love for literature since I was a child -- so much so that in fact I grew up to become a freelance writer!!! Books are an amazing thing they can teach or entertain and help expand your mind with very little effort. I read probably several books a month when I have the time ( I have much less now with a newborn at home ). I know that I will encourage my child to love to read when she is old enough to appreciate literature.

16. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Reading Habits

I enjoy reading books for pleasure and for assignments. I notice that the way I read books have changed from time to time. When I was a child I just read a lot on my own and I read from every direction, as told by my family members. I would read instructions, manuals, recipes, and all those little story books with big pictures. In school, I like reading and making annotations. I cannot read and not annotate my reading materials in my notebook. :D

As I age, I purchase books for different occasions. A coffee table book to read at home, a novel to carry with me in my travel, a Stephen King horror book to mark my work station, and then I noticed that I was looking around for a Kindle app reader to help me read on my PC.

The timeline of my reading habit has greatly changed in order to accommodate technology. I have even begun purchasing ebooks online. I think now I practice different reading methods, not only reading for information. I adjust. Often I read slow, and then there is also speed reading, going over materials that are not directly related to my area of study.

#16Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the past, when I was still an idealistic and fantasy-prone student, I read three to four books in a month. Over the holidays and during summer when we don't have school activities, I read more. I read a lot of historical, romance, classical and children's books. When I got to college, I upgraded my preference and started reading more classics and the works of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Paulo Coelho and Isabel Allende.

18. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I have always liked reading books. I remember some of my friends used to tease me as being too much of a geek. I didn't care at all. I would even try to get them into reading as well. I only read 1-2 books a month. My favorites are mystery, historical and classical books.

19. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    Yes, I definitely enjoy reading books, whether it be fiction or non-fiction. But I love the fiction genre more. I love reading novels and short, freestyle poetry books. Reading, in my own opinion, is a form of escape. The world that we live in now is already cruel and dark but when you're reading a book, it takes you somewhere else and it frees your mind. That's why I enjoy reading books so much.

20. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I love to read and as I continue reading I completely fall in love with the characters and the books become my world. I have never thought that some books can be so much fun to read. I totally love all kinds of books.