Writing an E-Book

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by soultakerkage • May 20, 2014.

1. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I have been thinking of learning how to write an E-Book. Does anyone know of any good websites where I can learn how to do this?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Are you sure you need an website to teach you that? I'd say that an e-book follows the same structure as any other book. The tricky part imo is selling the e-book you'll write. How will you generate interest and what price will you ask? Make it too expensive and people will not buy, especially if you're not a proven expert in the field you write about. Maybe it's a good idea to have a look in some marketing forums. There are plenty of e-books sold there, cheap or expensive, by all kinds of people.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I am an Indie Author who publishes through a boutique publishing company called Write On Press. Here is one of their websites:

They also will have links to the e-book link which also has some free downloads as well as their Facebook page. I did a lot of research before deciding to go with them. And while my decision had to do with a slow progression of events that led me to being loyal to the company more than to the personal benefits in comparison to other companies, I feel I can recommend it to new authors. There are places like 'Create Space' that Amazon is associated with where you can publish and print on your own without the help of a publisher. Also, there are places who support Indie Authors who go out solely on their own without a publisher. So these are things to factor in. However, that being said, I can list the reasons why I like going through my publishers: 1. I had no idea how to market my product and they set me up with a lot of the leg work that I needed. 2. Although you have to pay a certain amount to get your work printed and published, you are given a person who acts as a sort of Editor for you, giving you advice on what you can do if you get writers block, or if you have some marketing agenda's. 3. There is Write Your Own Discount Program (as well as referral programs, and new things like that happening all the time) so they help you try to get to your goal of writing by cutting the cost as much as they can. 4. All the employees have a really positive attitude. You get constructive criticism; which you need, but the overall communication really makes you feel like you can do it. I don't know if you have signed up for any Author Support via places like Goodreads or not. But there are some real critics there. However, its a necessary tool for any author to join. So I have joined several discussion groups like that to help me hone in on my skill. But so far I have done all my publishing through Write-On. Check it out, you can email them with any questions you might have and I am confident they will answer you. You can PM me too if you want to know more, or post a reply. I don't mind sharing. :)

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    You can write your e-book normally like how you would write a normal book. When you publish them online then the selling platform will have a software to convert your e-book into pdf.

One of the popular publishing platform is Amazon kindle. Just work on the structure of your e-book and just start writing like how you would write any other book.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yea, I wouldn't think there's any difference in writing a normal book and an E-Book. It's just a different way of marketing your book which I imagine would be taken care of by whoever you attempt to sell your book to.

Find a way to market your book will really help get your product out there. If people don't know about it, then they can't buy it!

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    An E-book simply is a book. The only difference between it and a real book is it's format. I don't think that should worry you because making an e-book is as simple as printing a pdf file.

An E-book can either be a non-fiction, informational book or a fiction book. I could be a novel of short stories . . . whatever. So when deciding you're going to write a book all you need is knowledge about the subject you're going to write about. That's all it takes to write an E-book. Expert knowledge about something and decent writing skills. If you got both, you're good to go.

7. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    You can try to see how you can possibly use Lulu.com's services. As far as I've read about them, they basically offer all their services for free to get you published. They will earn from you only when you start selling books, as a commission for them. I think that's a pretty decent arrangement and I don't think they will offer that kind of a process if they are not confident you are going to sell.

I think it's not bad to start developing contents for your ebook and then experiment with them.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are not specific sites, but there are tons of articles written about it. Anyway, I wish you good luck on your endeavor. I am excited to know what that would be all about, and what do you plan to do it? Is that going to be for personal use or are do you plan to sell it?

9. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    You can try smashwords.com. They have lots of resources to help you not only to create ebooks (and regular books) but also help you publish and even sell your ebooks online. They will only collect a reasonable commission/fee once you have sold something. You can sell your ebooks there or give them away for free too. View their FAQ page here to learn more >>

I'm doing an ebook project with them right now. :)

10. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    Sounds good mate,The market of Ebooks is growing each day and it feels good because at the end we get to see ways for understanding all the factors and knowing what it is and how it is help us for sure.
    This is surely the way for it and i must say it has that level of learning.