Windows 7 or Windows 8

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Gelsemium • May 21, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am still running Windows XP on my old laptop, but I will upgrading it soon. From what I've heard and researched, it seems that I will be better of with Windows 8 rather than Windows 7. Any of you have experience on this and can give me their opinion?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have used both and I would say you might be better off with Windows 7 as Windows 8 is a COMPLETE change. The Start button is gone, they have hidden a lot of the features we have become accustomed to and more. It's not impossible to use, after a couple of hours I was ready to go, but I did use the version before I bought it for myself. Windows 7 is awesome in my opinion and pretty much a clone of XP, but with plenty of improvements.

On the plus side: at least you will be skipping Vista. :)

3. Gusten

GustenNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with deansaliba. There aren't really any downs to sticking with Windows 7, whereas there are if you move to Windows 8. Windows 7 works great for me, and so far I haven't had any issues with compatiblity, which has occured to me when using Windows 8. And I would go with the Windows 7 look over 8 any day.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, I agree that the interface for Windows 7 is friendlier, but I've used Windows 8 a few times and I have to say I have enjoyed it. My main motivation is not really the interface in itself, but what my old computer can support and I've been told that for the specs of my machine the Windows 8 would be better because it would be faster.

5. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    If your computer is older and using XP keep in mind that windows 8 will use a greater amount of resources. Both platforms are fine and the major issue will be to stick with a 32 bit version (which you are probably running) or go to a 64 bit version. The 32 bit Windows 7 may be easier to install (possibly over top of XP) without having to completely wipe the machine. If you go to a 64 bit version, you are likely going to have to install it and wipe your data.

If your computer is old enough to be using XP, it probably is better supported by Windows 7 as it was designed closer to the time when your computer was built. I have a few devices that are not supported in Windows 7 or 8 and have had to buy new ones.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was running Windows 7 XP, a virus wiped me out. Windows will not load on the PC. I have done a system restore with no joy. I will have to get a new computer with Windows 8 running on it now that XP is no longer supported.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I still prefer Windows 7 at this point.

I'm sure eventually that I'll be forced to get used to Windows 8...or whatever the next version after it may or may not bring. For now, though, I have no intentions of switching.

8. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Windows 7. My dad has 8 on his laptop and I absolutely hate it. Cannot stand it. So ugly and I miss the regular start menu.

9. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    I like Windows 7 myself, but I'm getting use to Windows 8.

I really think that Windows 8 is probably what modern OS's will look like so if you want to just make the jump you might as well just jump in there. Otherwise, Windows 8 isn't overly hard to get use to, its just different. As long as you get use to navigating in it, you'll figure out what you're doing. I've had the less savy users figure out how to use it so you should be fine.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    What surprises me more about Windows 8 is that in terms of requirements for the computer it can actually be "lighter" than Windows 7 and this usually doesn't happen. I mean, when a new operating system comes out it usually requires a better machine, but it seems that Windows 8 can actually be faster on an old machine than Windows 7.

11. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't experienced using Windows 8 because until now I'm still on Windows 7 on my old laptop too. I'm very comfortable with it at the moment but when my laptop died then I'd definitely get a new one with Windows 8. My husband's laptop is with Windows 8 and it seems to be really good and fast.

12. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've actually been a fan of Windows 8 software. I know some people haven't liked it, but after getting used to the new things with it for about an hour, I really started to appreciate the new things it did over Windows 7. They're still working some bugs out with it, but I'd still recommend getting it and using all the new things it does over Windows 7

13. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    I've used both and prefer Windows 7. I don't like the operating system of Win8 as much as 7 so I stick to 7.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I am being very lazy regarding changing it, it's not so much work I suppose, but it is some work. I will have to back up everything to my external drive and to reinstall it all. A friend told me that is fairly simple, that I just run the CD and it even install all the drives, but I am somewhat skeptical about as some drives are usually always a pain to install and it usually takes hours.

15. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    Windows 8 is definitely the way to go. It is probably the best OS out there and has completely restored my faith in the windows brand. That being said, i would say that windows 7 is also pretty decent and has some really great feature. But windows 8 is a good upgrade from that and so i would recommend that totally.

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Although, I am not seeing much difference, substantial difference that I won't be able to use my computer with Windows 7, I am using Windows 8. I am only using it because I just bought my laptop and when I bough it, it already came with pre-installed Windows 8. But honestly I don't prefer it over Windows 8 as much as I don't prefer Windows 7 over it. I am fine whatever it is that's coming to me.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used Windows XP, Vista, and 7, and based form what I've heard, Windows 8 is geared at touch screen devices, so I'm not sure if I want to replace my current OS which is Windows 7 with that one. I guess you would be better off upgrading to Windows 7, but I noticed that I can't install most games on it that I was able to install on Windows Vista and XP without a problem.

18. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never tried upgrading an old computer to Windows 8. Personally I don't know what it is about 7 but for some reason I do not like it. Windows 8 does irritate me in a way but I moreso have a love/hate relationship with it. Of course the main problem is it can be annoying to navigate with it but I suppose the more you use it, the easier you'll find it. You might want to wait though because since it is still a fairly new OS it has plenty of bugs.

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's true, Microsoft always fails to make decent new OS, they always have loads and loads of bugs and I don't get why they do that. Are they that incompetent? My main question though is speed, I am still with my dying XP (lazy, I know) and I think that Windows 8 will be faster than Windows 7, so I will go for it when XP is unbearable. Also, XP continues to receive updates, just not OS updates.

20. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer windows 7 mostly because well, I'm just so used to using it. Although i still think windows 7 is better than windows 8, I personally have nothing against windows 8, i think the interface looks pretty, a total eye candy if you ask me. What i like about it the most is when you browse online the metro way. I completely adore how elegant and sleek the interface looks that way that I've gone on for days trying to see if there's a tweak like it available online so i could apply it in my windows 7 but sadly i couldn't find anything. Anyways, I'm sure windows is always on the work to try and make their OS works perfectly for us users. ;)