Lawn or garden?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Lostvalleyguy • May 22, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    For many home owners a lawn is the way to use up the space not covered by a house. While a lawn requires some maintenance, it is relatively simple to keep up compared to some of the alternatives. What is your lawn doing for you? If we have children that like to play outside on the lawn, then it is serving as a functional space but without children, the lawn is often just a patch of green.

A garden, on the other hand can not only look nice but it can provide a source of fresh food. While many people will have a small garden plot somewhere in their yard, few would dare to garden their entire yard leaving only a small grassy area. It is nice to have a little bit of lawn to sit at on a sunny day, but I prefer to have a large garden space for a good supply of veggies and fruits. Why have a fir tree when it can be a cherry?

Are you a lawn lover or would you rather take up the space planting a garden?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I actually quite like the way my mother organized the space around our house in the village. We have a big green space around and she planted flowers at the front, vegetables on the right side and left the rest empty.

It's really nice to have a big enough space for the kids to run around and play at day time. I would love to have a space like at my own house but I only have a very little space at the front which I could only plant a few kind of flowers.

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I would have all spaces planted with something if it were not for the dogs needing some grass. There is a lot on Face Book about it. If you do FB, look up Grow food, not lawns's page. There are a ton of ideas for gardening and doing other things specifically in our front yard, rethinking the whole 'have to have a lawn' mentality. But as I said, I have to have some of it. My ideal house would be to have various gardens (herbs, veggies, flowers etc), wooden gazebo's, decks, walkways, arches, fountains, etc with enough room to have these like sections. I would love fruit trees also.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If I had the space a garden is what I'd grow. While a lawn is neat to have, and it's great for kids or pets, the garden is more useful since I can grow my own fresh food. Not only would I save some dough but I'd eat more healthy. And kids or pets can still play between the planted sections so it's a win win from all angles :D

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The advantage of living in the country side is that you have the enough space to spare. You can have a lawn and a garden.

Like I said in another post there's a mini-basketball court in my front yard. It takes up part of the lawn's space. In my backyard I have a garden. So, I'm lucky to have both — garden and lawn.

6. KymARenner

KymARennerNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer a garden with some area as a neat lawn, maybe in the middle.................it solves both the purposes.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like a lawn area and I also like the gardens and party sections that a house can offer. The gardening area is a little more important to me than having a well manicured lawn. I want my garden to have flowers and vegetables growing and a path that just sort of wonders through out the yard.

8. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I have a lawn in the front garden and it is good for the children playing. However, it is forever getting overgrown and I am not the best gardener in the world. I have often thought of paving over it. The bag garden just has a border with some shrubs, a couple of trees and then the rest is gravelled with a pathway made out of decking that leads to the shed. The back garden takes no maintenance at all.

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I love both! sorry! I just cannot choose between the two! Let me explain why, a well manicured lawn adds to the beauty of any house! no matter how plain the house is. Lush green grass is an eye catcher, people will knock at your door, just to ask you if they can take some of your grass to transplant it in their lawn. Believe me! it has happened to me, a dead yellowish lawn will definitely make your house look less attractive, by a far stretch! A nicely coordinated garden will wow your guests, gardens are useful as they can provide you with a quite environment to read, sleep or even watch the television. A garden is equally as important as a lawn because if you do not have a garden in your home, simply put, it will look very much, unattractive. Imagine having both a lawn and a garden..separately! or having a lawn in a garden! Oh man, bliss!

10. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a garden, and I love gardening, so I would rather have a garden. I'm sorry to all the lawn lovers, but I think that they are pretty boring. If you have a garden, you can decide if you want to plant flowers or even vegetables. I have both. It's really beautiful. I also get to harvest my own vegetables, so I don't spend so much money on vegetables every week or so. :)