Religious people at the door

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Strykstar • May 26, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Just last Saturday I was woken up by religious people knocking at my door at 8:30 am to tell me the word of the Lord.
    I'm not religious myself, but I'd have no problem kindly telling them that I'm not interested, but don't they realize that Saturday is the first day that most people have in the week to sleep in a bit? At least come after lunch or something!

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    LOL that sounds pretty funny to me :D I never had anybody knocking on my door to tell me the word of the lord apart from my mum who woke me up as early as possible on Sunday so I didn't miss going to church. But she never succeed in persuading me to go for years.

I kept on telling her that if I really want to go then I will go without anyone having to remind me. She quit trying after few years :D

And as for yours, why Saturday?

3. stardisgate

stardisgateNew Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of a Jenna Marbles video. She says to make a weird face and they wont come back. I am a little religious but I think they should know better than to go to someones door that early on a Saturday. That's just too early.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Lol! Love Jenna.

And yeah, I don't think they really care about the time. 8:30 isn't all that early on other days, so they're probably just hoping to catch people at home on Saturday in general.

I have no problem simply ignoring the door myself.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't answer the door unless I know who it is. I find it very invasive to go to people's homes and bother them for money or push your religion on them. Highly. Flipping. Invasive lol. I've even put signs up before and the only ones to ignore them completely were the religious. I can't get rid of them! I respect that you love and believe in something so much. I respect that you want to share it with others. But it's not your place to go door to door to people who didn't ask to be converted. These are our HOMES. Not the time or the place.

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's right, why do they need to bother me because *they* love something so much?
    I don't go around people's houses telling them that they should put mustard on their hamburgers just because that's what I like to do.
    It's clearly an invasion of privacy in some way, it shouldn't be allowed.

7. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Any religion that feels the need to try to force it on you is obviously in the wrong religion. Feel free to shoot those people. Put a sign on your door that says religious people will be shot on sight. And under it say, if you really believe you will go to heaven let me send you there now.

8. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I have a problem with religious people knocking on my door. I am not very religious and when people come to my door, it feels almost pressuring to not tell them I'm not interested. I'd much rather just ignore my door and keep doing whatever it is I'm doing.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are Jehovah's Witnesses that knock on all the doors in my building every Saturday morning. I was listening to a Patton Oswalt standup comedy special where he said that he told his wife, "Open your stink crevasse and give birth to my hellspawn." ....and that's when the Witnesses walked up to my glass door, heard "stink crevasse" and "hellspawn" and walked away.

10. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Ask them for a financial statement from their Church. When they tell you they don't have one because their church doesn't publish one, ask them what they are hiding. I have been known to open the Word to them, since I know more about it than they do, but that only works if you are a Biblical scholar, I also try the laying on of hands and praying.

#10Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, I live in a gated apartment complex. This prevents any unwanted religious people from knocking at my door. I really do think it's rude to "spread the word" so very early in the morning. My ex sister in laws were Jehovah Witnesses. Yes, my brother married two different women from the same religion. It's even stranger because he is not religious. Anyway, she takes my niece on walks once a month. My niece is already counted down the years until she is 18 so she can break away from the Kingdom Hall.

12. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yeesh, that's pretty rough! Especially when for most people, the weekend is the only opportunity people have to sleep in during the week. While I have no problem with religious people going door to door, at least be courteous enough to come by when it's reasonable for people to be awake!

Someone might be able to speak to this better than I, but don't Jehovah Witnesses go door to door after their service in the morning?

13. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    Defniftely, they came too early. Not everyone's gotten up at 8:30, and some people work night shifts and have to sleep then. It was inconsiderate and after lunch would've been a better time.
    As for why they do it, it's not right to be so pushy and forceful about it but they sincerely believe they're helping. They hope to give you a good afterlife.

14. Ruffled

RuffledNew Member

Threads:
    No, they don't. They don't work for a living obviously. All they seem to do is knock on doors at the least opportune time. Just another in a long line of examples as to how out of touch they are with regular people.

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it funny how certain people and organisations believe that they are the personal messengers of God, and that they need to inform me about my short comings as a non-believer (of their dogmas). I really need that in my daily life...

16. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    If I know the Jehovas witnesses are out I usually shut off the lights and try to make it look like I'm not home. If they knock anyway I just ignore them because I can't be bothered with their BS.

17. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately even living in the country doesn't keep this from happening entirely. Most of the time tho it does. I have a road gate. and that discourages people. If it's open, the good tho is that my house is fenced all the way around, and the three dogs are great alarm systems and most people won't walk just right up to the door. I go out to the fence, and they hand me what ever BS they want to hand me, I say thank you and they drive off. I just walk in the house and put it threw the paper shredder, and viola, go on with my day. When I'm at the fence, the dogs are barking so loudly, BLESS them, that the religious buggers and I can't hear each other, so they drive off. I never invite them in nor do I ever offer any excuse. It all works out. :)

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My building seems to be a hub for several groups of Jehovah's Witnesses because I've had four different groups of them knock on my door. I guess they don't communicate with each other so one group doesn't know that there are already three other teams of Witnesses working this building. Some days another team shows up after another team just left. I guess our building is attractive to Witnesses because it's not gated and has no security cameras.

19. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I have these people come knocking all the time spreading Christianity. I'm not interested so I always tell them that I'm kinda busy. Most of them will just leave me a pamphlet but some are really persistent and kept on insisting that I listen to them. I think that even though we get annoyed sometimes, these are still religious people so I stay polite and tell them off nicely.

20. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Luckily nobody can get into my apartment building because there are cameras and not one but two security fobs you need followed by a doorman before you can get to the lobby. I don't have to currently deal with religious people knocking on my door but I remember it from when I loved at my parents house. They live in a neighborhood that consists almost strictly of families and the religious people would always be out banging on doors at all hours and days. We just wouldn't open the door because no matter how polite we were they would never leave and I'd end up having to close the door in their face which isn't something I wanted to do but they left me no other option.