Make Your Own Laundry Detergent

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Older Than Mud • May 11, 2012.

1. Older Than Mud

Older Than MudNew Member

Threads:
    Fels Naphta, Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda and 20 Mule Team Borax, the ingredients in Homemade Laundry detergent, work wonderfully together to clean laundry. Since more and more people are making their own laundry detergent, these three items can now be found at Wal-Mart, all grouped together on the same shelf. The cost per load is one-fourth to one-third cheaper than commercial laundry detergent.:D

Does anyone else make their own?

2. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest that anyone who makes their own be very wary. When I tried making my own and after washing and drying put the clothes on my daughter, the solution literally gave her blisters that looked like acid burns.

Be very careful before you use this solution on your children. Especially if they have sensitive skin, or even Eczema.

3. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I am glad for both of these posts. One I never thought to make my own laundry detergent, so I am extremely curious. Though the warning about home made laundry for sensitive skin is greatly appreciated. My youngest daughter and myself both have Eczema, so this cold end up being a bad idea for us. But I am definitely going to look into this more. Thanks for the idea!

4. lorindaleigh

lorindaleighNew Member

Threads:
    Laundry detergent is so expensive that I have been thinking about trying my own for awhile. I have most of the ingredients here in my apartment so I might just go ahead and give it a try today. Thanks for the encouragement!

5. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    My grandmother made her own soap which she used for laundry. It is the old lye soap. I still have a chunk of it that we found when we were clearing out the house.

Once they retired into town, though, she switched over to commercial soap.

6. christina_5179

christina_5179New Member

Threads:
    My sister made her own detergent. I helped her and have used some of it and must say it's not too shabby. I had to get used to the smell of it but it cleans well and doesn't give the clothes a funny after smell. A few of my friends also make it too and love it. Also, my sister's son has severe Eczema and his skin hasn't had any reactions to it thankfully. Definately be weary though if you do have sensitive skin or any kind of skin condition. If you can though, make your own because it saves tons of money.

7. Older Than Mud

Older Than MudNew Member

Threads:
    Well, folks, I have sensitive skin and eczema and I know several others that do too, and none of us have been affected by the home made laundry detergent. I also make lye soap and it is great too for the laundry, bath (and is recommended for several skin ailments) and washing your hair with as long as you rinse your hair in a solution of white vinegar and water.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard more than once about making laundry detergent, but I've never been able to find the ingredients. I didn't know they were so readily available at Walmart, but then again, I don't live near a Walmart. The last person who told me the recipe said that she had to buy some of the ingredients online... that seems like the shipping cost would almost defeat the purpose.

9. Older Than Mud

Older Than MudNew Member

Threads:
    I did buy my first kit online from Lehman's over a year ago because I couldn't find one of the ingredients. Since then they have decided to make available all of them at Wal-Mart. I had enough stuff to make laundry detergent for several months without buying anything and still have some of it. The kit has the 3 ingredients, a container to put it in, a grater, a big wooden spoon, a one cup measuring cup and you can download the instructions from their site. To ship it to the UK would be quite expensive, I would think. You can still download the instructions free from their site,

Scroll down to the "Download" tab.

10. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I never knew about this detergent recipe. And I'm all about saving money so I WILL be trying this. Thank you VERY much for this tip you shared.

11. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting! I would have never even thought about trying to make my own laundry soap before. It sure sounds like you could save a lot of money doing this! Laundry soap has just gotten to be so expensive anymore. I have been buying the cheaper brands but they just don't always clean as well. I will have to give making my own a try! Thanks!

12. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    As a cloth diapering mom, this is very interesting. But I would be a little afraid from the reviews that say you have to be careful. I think I'll stick to Charlie's Soap.

13. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    This is very interesting, I never thought about making my own detergent before. But as was said, you need to be very careful if you have sensitive skin, which I do. I have only been able to use ivory liguid over the years and it works fine for my skin. Although, I would like to find a detergent that I could make that will not bother my skin and make me itchy. Do anyone have any suggestions.

14. Andrea4

Andrea4Member

Threads:
    Older, I've seen the other 2 ingredients, but what is Fels Naphta exactly? I have not made my own detergent before, but I'm willing to try to save extra money. I have also heard of making bar soap also, but haven't tried that either. I appreciate the info.

15. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I would be terrified to do this - I am pretty sure I would mess up the % of each ingredient and end up making an explosive or something teehee. Is there a certain ratio?

16. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard of this and I know quite a few people who use it. I would really miss the nice smell that Gain gives my clothes, though. Also, as with many other things, people might have a reaction to it with no other skin problems. You really never know how you might react to different ingredients or a combination of ingredients in detergent, soaps, cleansers, shampoo, etc. Still, you never know until you try. It could be a huge money saver since it seems like detergents are just getting more and more expensive.

17. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I have made my own laundry soap many times with these ingredients. They wash well and in fact it was the only soap I used on my cloth diapers. They got clean and I didn't have to strip them all the time like with Tide. I have no more babies in diapers, so I switched back to Tide. Plus I also have a HE front loading washer now and am unsure about using the homemade soap in it, I think it should be okay because its not really sudsy, but I still want to be cautious.

18. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't live in the UK though... Thanks for the link. :)

According to this site (link is in the previous quote) it's safe for HE washers.

#18May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  19. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I have used this before and it does a better job of fighting the stains as well! Not only does it do a better job for me, but it also has less chemicals which I am allergic to! So I do not have to be worried about it damaging my skin at any period of time.

20. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I've thought about it but have never actually made my own laundry detergent. If it really saves money, I may actually try it. Thank you for the recipe!